The Spice Girls (2007)
|Origin||London, England, UK|
|Genres||Pop, dance-pop, teen pop, R&B|
|Years active||1994–2000, 2007–2008, 2012|
The Spice Girls are a British pop girl group. The group formed in 1994. The group has five members. Each member uses a nicknames initially given to them: Melanie Chisholm ("Sporty Spice"), Emma Bunton ("Baby Spice"), Melanie Brown ("Scary Spice"), Victoria Beckham (née Adams) ("Posh Spice"), and Geri Halliwell ("Ginger Spice"). They were signed to Virgin Records. The Spice Girls released their debut single, "Wannabe" in 1996. It hit number-one in more than 30 countries. The song helped make the group as a global phenomenon. The group is credited for being starting the trend of commercial success of teen pop in the late 1990s. Their debut album, Spice, sold more than 28 million copies worldwide. It is the best-selling album by a female group in music history. They have sold over 75 million records worldwide. This makes them the best-selling female group of all time. It also makes them the most successful British band since the Beatles.
The members reunited in 2007. They released a Greatest Hits album in November and said a world tour would start in December. On 1 February 2008, the group said that they would be ending the tour early.
- "Spice Girls reunion: Is a comeback possible?". BBC News. 18 February 2003. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/2771605.stm. Retrieved 19 February 2012.
- "Spice Girls Plan Reunion". Dailymail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-162022/Spice-Girls-plan-reunion.html. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- "Simon Fuller and Judy Craymer plan Spice Girls musical". BBC News online (London). 21 January 2010. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8473024.stm. Retrieved 26 October 2011.
- Hoyle, Ben (22 January 2010). "Viva Forever Mamma Mia creator creates Spice Girls musical". The Times (UK). http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/article6997164.ece. Retrieved 8 May 2010.
- Thomas, Rebecca (25 April 2012). "TLC’s Left Eye Remembered: 10 Years Later". MTV (MTV Networks). http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1683858/left-eye-tlc-death.jhtml. Retrieved 23 June 2012.
- "This is the story of the greatest pop phenomenon since The Beatles" BBC Entertainment. 25 August 2008
- "Britain's most successful band since the Beatles" 1998: Ginger leaves the Spice Girls, BBC