||This article needs more sources for reliability. (October 2013)|
|Format||Animated television series|
Dee Bradley Baker
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||204 (half-hours)
334 (episodes aired so far, 8 unaired) (List of episodes)
|Original channel||Nicktoons Network
|First shown in||United States|
|Original run||May 1, 1999 – present |
SpongeBob SquarePants is an American animated Nickelodeon TV show made by Stephen Hillenburg (who also worked on Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life) that started on May 1, 1999. The main character on the show is a sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea, as the theme song states. He is a fry cook who works at a restaurant called the Krusty Krab, which is run by a crab whose name is Eugene H. Krabs.
The show features the voice of Tom Kenny as SpongeBob, the sponge in the underwater town of Bikini Bottom. Even though SpongeBob is a sea sponge, he looks more like a kitchen sponge that you use to clean dishes. His best friend is Patrick Star, a starfish. His grumpy neighbor is Squidward Tentacles, an octopus. SpongeBob and Squidward work at the Krusty Krab, a fast food place that makes Krabby Patties. The recipe for the Krabby Patty is top-secret. Mr. Krabs's enemy, Sheldon Plankton, often tries to steal the recipe.
As of March 17, 2013 the series has aired 185 shows. Episodes were recorded from December 2011 to January 2013.
A theatrical movie premiered on November 19, 2004, which marked the end of the third season. Season 9 was announced by Nickelodeon on January 3,2011.Filming of the ninth Season began in December 2011.
SpongeBob SquarePants was one of Nickelodeon's most popular shows, like The Fairly OddParents, Rugrats and Avatar: The Last Airbender. It has been nominated for Emmies, been made into many video games and a movie, and has official recognition as Nickelodeon's most popular show of all time since 2000, when the second season began.
In May 2005, when the fourth season debuted, people have been criticizing the season and insulting Paul Tibbit ever since. But the quality and animation got much better starting with Season 8, which started 6 years later.
A second movie is arriving in November 2014 and it will possibly mark the end of the show.
Season 9 will include an episode where SpongeBob and Patrick meet very extreme sports team, Patrick imagines he's a superhero, and SpongeBob uses a special milkshake machine.It's the first season to be in HD.
Characters[change | change source]
Main places[change | change source]
- The show takes place in a city called Bikini Bottom. Bikini Bottom is in the Pacific Ocean. There are many places in the city like Rock Bottom and the Sea Needle (a bit like the Space Needle in Seattle).
- SpongeBob's Pineapple is SpongeBob's home. It has many big rooms even though on the outside it looks just like a small pineapple. It even has a huge library with many books.
- The Krusty Krab is a restaurant in the city of Bikini Bottom. It is run by a crab, Eugene H. Krabs. Two workers at the restaurant are SpongeBob SquarePants (fry cook), and Squidward Tentacles (cashier). The fast food that is sold are the popular Krabby Patty (which is similar to a hamburger), french fries, and drinks.
- The Chum Bucket is a restaurant that is across the street from the Krusty Krab. It is owned by Sheldon J. Plankton, but people don't usually go there. The only customers who went to the Chum Bucket were the ones who did not like the Krusty Krab service. One fish even said "This is the worst service ever. I'm going to the Chum Bucket." (because SpongeBob thinks he's a movie star, and he stops cooking patties). Plankton is always trying to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula, which only Mr. Krabs knows. Plankton also has a computer wife named Karen.
- Goo Lagoon is a popular beach. Even though the beach is under water, the water in the beach is called "goo". In some episodes it is just a lake but in some it is an entire ocean.
- Patrick's boulder, is Patrick's home where Patrick lives and sleeps in. In some episodes, Patrick falls out of his boulder.
- Mr Krabs and Pearl's anchor, a home that Mr. Krabs lives in with his lovely daughter Pearl.
- Squidward's house, A house that Squidward can relax on a grumpy day. Some episodes have Squidward leaning out the window to tell Spongebob and Patrick, "Will you two be quiet. I'm trying to practise my clarinet or sleep or paint."
References[change | change source]
- "TV Guide magazine's 60 greatest cartoons of all time". FOX News. 24 September 2013. http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/09/24/greatest-cartoons-all-time-tv-guide-list/.
- Brent Jones, ed. (14 July 2009). "SquarePants: Bobbing along for 10 years". Gannett Co. Inc.. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-07-14-spongebob-timeline_N.htm.