The Cask of Amontillado
|The Cask of Amontillado|
Illustration of "The Cask of Amontillado" by Harry Clarke, 1919
|Author||Edgar Allan Poe|
|Genre(s)||Horror short story|
|Publisher||Godey's Lady's Book|
|Release date||November 1846|
|Media type||Print (Magazine)|
The story is about a man named Montresor who wants to take revenge on Fortunato, though his motivation is not clear. It is during a masquerade in the city and Fortunato is dressed in a Joker costume. Montresor tells Fortunato he has bought a special rare wine called amontillado. He wants Fortunato to test it to be sure it is real. Montresor leads him into underground tunnels to test the wine. He walls him up alive and burns him to death.
Other websites [change]
- "The Cask of Amontillado" - Full text of the first printing, from Godey's Lady's Book, 1846
- The Cask of Amontillado, found online at Ye Olde Library
- The Cask of Amontillado at American Literature
- Full text on PoeStories.com with hyperlinked vocabulary words.
- Free-to-download MP3 dramatisation of the story (Yuri Rasovsky)