The Cask of Amontillado
|"The Cask of Amontillado"|
Illustration by Harry Clarke, 1919
|Author||Edgar Allan Poe|
|Published in||Godey's Lady's Book|
|Publication date||November 1846|
Story[change | change source]
A man named Montresor wants to take revenge on Fortunato, though his motivation is not clear. It is during a masquerade in the city. Fortunato is dressed in a jester's costume. Montresor tells Fortunato he has bought a special rare wine called amontillado. He wants Fortunato to test it to be sure it is real. Montresor leads Fortunato into an underground tunnel to test the wine. He walls him up alive in a niche.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "The Cask of Amontillado" - Full text of the first printing, from Godey's Lady's Book, 1846
- The Cask of Amontillado, found online at Ye Olde Library
- The Cask of Amontillado at American Literature
- Full text on PoeStories.com with hyperlinked vocabulary words.
- Free-to-download MP3 dramatisation of the story (Yuri Rasovsky)