Tom Gehrels (1974)
|Born||February 25, 1925
Haarlemmermeer, the Netherlands
|Died||July 11, 2011 (aged 86)
Tucson, Arizona, United States
|Institutions||University of Arizona|
|Alma mater||Leiden University, University of Chicago|
|Notable awards||Harold Masursky Award|
Tom Gehrels (1925 – 2011), was an American astronomer, Professor Planetary Sciences, and Astronomer at the University of Arizona, Tucson. With co-workers, he discovered over 4,000 asteroids, including Apollo asteroids, Amor asteroids, as well as dozens of Trojan asteroids. Gehrels also discovered a number of comets. In an interview, Gehrels was asked what he would do if an asteroid hit the Earth. He said, "Go out there and have a look, of course."
Gehrels edited a number of space science textbooks. One of his sons, Neil Gehrels, is also an astronomer.
- Physical Studies of Minor Planets, edited by Tom Gehrels (1971), NASA SP-267
- Planets Stars and Nebulae Studied With Photopolarimetry, edited by Tom Gehrels (1974), ISBN 0-8165-0428-8
- Jupiter: Studies of the Interior, Atmosphere, Magnetosphere, and Satellites, edited by Tom Gehrels and Mildred Shapley Matthews (1976), ISBN 0-8165-0530-6
- Protostars & Planets: Studies of Star Formation and of the Origin of the Solar System, edited by Tom Gehrels and Mildred Shapley Matthews (1978), ISBN 0-8165-0674-4
- Asteroids, edited by Tom Gehrels and Mildred Shapley Matthews (1979), ISBN 0-8165-0695-7
- Saturn, edited by Tom Gehrels and Mildred Shapley Matthews (1984), ISBN 0-8165-0829-1
- Asteroids II, edited by Richard P. Binzel, Tom Gehrels, and Mildred Shapely Matthews (1989), ISBN 0-8165-1123-3
- Hazards Due to Comets and Asteroids, edited by Tom Gehrels, Mildred Shapley Matthews, and A. M. Schumann (1994), ISBN 0-8165-1505-0
- On the Glassy Sea, in Search of a Worldview, Tom Gehrels (2007, first published in 1988), ISBN 1-4196-8247-4
- Survival Through Evolution: From Multiverse to Modern Society, Tom Gehrels (2007), ISBN 1-4196-7055-7
- "Dutch-American astronomer Tom Gehrels dies". rnw.nl. July 13, 2011. http://www.rnw.nl/africa/bulletin/dutch-american-astronomer-tom-gehrels-dies. Retrieved October 23, 2011. "The journalist asked: “Suppose an asteroid that would hit Earth is discovered. What would you do?' Dr Gehrels replied, 'Go out there and have a look, of course!'"
- Gehrels, Tom (1994). "Of Truth and Consequences". Nature 372: 511-512.