Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||11th century – 12th century – 13th century|
|Decades:||1080s 1090s 1100s – 1110s – 1120s 1130s 1140s|
|Years:||1114 1115 1116 – 1117 – 1118 1119 1120|
Events[change | change source]
Africa[change | change source]
- Conflict between the independent republics of Mahdia and Gabes in Ifriqiya. Madhia is supported by the Zirid dynasty while Gabes receives the aid of the Roger I of Sicily.
Asia[change | change source]
- Pelusium is destroyed by Baldwin I of Jerusalem.
- Miidera and the sohei of Enryakuji attack Nara, Japan.
Europe[change | change source]
- Borivoj II of Bohemia becomes prince in place of Vladislav I of Bohemia.
- The people of Santiago de Compostela (present-day Spain) try to burn their prelate in his palace, along with the queen.
- Iceland ends slavery.
- Short-lived Almoravid reconquest of Coimbra (Portugal).
By topic[change | change source]
Education[change | change source]
Technology[change | change source]
- The earliest use of a compass for navigational purposes is recorded.
Births[change | change source]
- Humphrey II of Toron, Constable of Jerusalem
Deaths[change | change source]
- April 16 – Saint Magnus, Earl of Orkney (executed)
- December 9 – Gertrud of Brunswick, Markgräfin of Meißen
- Anselm of Laon, French theologian
- Ivo of Chartres, French canon lawyer (b. 1040)
- Bertrade de Montfort, wife of Fulk IV of Anjou and Philip I of France
- Li Zhiyi, Chinese poet