The 1540s was a decade that started on 1 January 1540 and ended on 31 December 1549.
|Centuries:||15th century – 16th century – 17th century|
|Decades:||1510s 1520s 1530s – 1540s – 1550s 1560s 1570s|
|Years:||1540 1541 1542 1543 1544 1545 1546 1547 1548 1549|
|Categories:||Births – Deaths – Architecture|
Establishments – Disestablishments
Events[change | change source]
- Hernando de Soto is the first European to see the Mississippi River.
- Ivan IV of Muscovy becomes the first Tsar of Russia.
- Edward VI succeeds his father Henry VIII as King of England.
- Wars between Protestants and Catholics in Europe.
- Japan opens up to Europeans.
Births[change | change source]
- El Greco, Greek-born artist
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Miguel de Cervantes, Spanish writer
Deaths[change | change source]
- Martin Luther, reformer
- Hernando de Soto, Spanish explorer
- Henry VIII, King of England
- Hernán Cortés, Spanish explorer
- Juan Diego Cuauhtlatoatzin, Mexican Catholic saint