|Centuries:||17th century – 18th century – 19th century|
|Decades:||1730s 1740s 1750s – 1760s – 1770s 1780s 1790s|
|Years:||1762 1763 1764 – 1765 – 1766 1767 1768|
Year 1765 (MDCCLXV) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Gregorian calendar and a common year starting on Saturday of the 11-day slower Julian calendar.
Events[change | change source]
- The first true restaurant opens in Paris, where a tavern-keeper named Boulanger sells cooked dishes at an all-night place on the Rue Bailleul
- Nicholas Cugnot pioneers the automobile with a three-wheel gun tractor
- James Watt supersedes the 1705 Newcomen engine with a more effective steam engine
- In Lisbon, the auto-da-fé parade (often an excuse for violence against Jews or Christian 'heretics') is abolished
- Josef II becomes Holy Roman Emperor
- Horace Walpole publishes The Castle of Otranto
- The birth of Mary Bryant, one of the first successful escapees from the fledging Australian penal colony.
- for more information, see Category:1765 births.
- for more information, see Category:1765 deaths.