|1914 Salle Giandomenici international women's fencing competition|
|Location||Keizersgracht, Amsterdam, the Netherlands|
|Dates||17 March 1914|
|Competitors||10 from 3 nations|
The 1914 Salle Giandomenici international women's fencing competition was the first women's international fencing competition in the Netherlands on 17 March 1914. It was the first international women's fencing competition in the Netherlands. The competition was organized the fencing academy of Giovanni Giandomenici, the Salle Giandomenici, located at the Keizersgracht in Amsterdam. Ten fencers from the Netherlands, England, and Belgium competed against each other. The British C. E. Martin Edmunds won the competition. Dutch Esther Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo of Salle Giandomenici took the second prize.
Entrants[change | change source]
In the week before the competition it was reported that a total of fourteen women entered the competition. Five from the United Kingdom, two from Salle Verbrugge in Belgium, and seven Dutch fencers from Salle Giandomenici, in the Netherlands. A later article stated two other Dutch women who entered, but didn't compete.
|C. E. Martin Edmunds||United Kingdom||Salle Alibert|
|Rosamund Johnstone||United Kingdom||Salle Bertrand|
|C. E. Taylor||United Kingdom||Ealing Fencing Club Polytechnic Gymnasium|
|Jean Colmer||United Kingdom||Queen Alexandra's House Gymnasium|
|A. M. Cunningham||United Kingdom||Kensington School of Arms|
|J. De Deken||Belgium||Salle Verbrugge|
|M. Blom||Belgium||Salle Verbrugge|
|Esther Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo||Netherlands||Salle Giandomenici|
|Ina Santhagens-Waller||Netherlands||Salle Giandomenici|
|J. Goudeket||Netherlands||Salle Giandomenici|
|M. Mendels||Netherlands||Salle Giandomenici|
|Adrie Meyerink||Netherlands||Salle Giandomenici|
|Joyce Haworth||United Kingdom||Salle Giandomenici|
|Lily Stoop||Netherlands||Salle Giandomenici|
Competition[change | change source]
The matches were in "competition-format" meaning that each fencer competed against each other fencer.
Results[change | change source]
British champion C. E. Martin Edmunds, who won the first prize at the 1913 International Exposition fencing competition in Ghent, lost her first match against Rosamund Johnstone with 3-2. Edmunds won her three next matches against Goudeket, C. E. Taylor and M. Blom. Johnstone lost against the Dutch Esther Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo with 3-1, who had the advantage that she fenced left-handed. With an one hit difference, Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo also beated the Belgian Blom and the Dutch Mendels with 3-1. An important match was Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo against Edmunds. Edmunds with the advantage of being tall was able to beat Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo with her quickness and left-handedness. It was the only match Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo lost. The Dutch Meijerink lost her match against Edmunds but afterwards she won against Johnstone, Goudeket and Taylor.
The match that determined the final result was Edmunds against the Belgian J. De Deken. Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo would win overall if Edmunds lost. After a long match, Edmunds won with 3-2, and won the overall competition.
|1||C. E. Martin Edmunds (GBR)||8||11|
|2||Esther Bekkers-Lopes Cardozo (NED)||8||12|
|3||Rosamund Johnstone (GBR)|
|4||J. De Deken (BEL)|
|5||Adrie Meyerink (NED)|
|6||M. Blom (BEL)|
|7||Ina Santhagens-Waller (NED)|
|8||J. Goudeket (NED)|
|9||C. E. Taylor (GBR)|
|10||M. Mendels (NED)|
Fencing styles[change | change source]
The English took advantage of their height and long arms. They fenced with great hesitation. The style was in contrast to the Belgians, who were very graceful and fenced with quick movements. The Dutch's style was between that of the English and Belgians.
Related pages[change | change source]
- 1911 England–Holland women's fencing competitions
- 1920 Salle Giandomenici international women's fencing competition
References[change | change source]
- "Internationale schermwedstrijd voor dames". De Telegraaf (in Dutch). 17 March 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Sportief Amsterdam. Schermende dames". De Sumatra post (in Dutch). 16 April 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Internationaal dames floret-tournooi". Algemeen Handelsblad (in Dutch). 20 March 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Zaal-Giandomenici". De Maasbode (in Dutch). 18 March 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Internationale schermwedstrijd voor dames". Algemeen Handelsblad (in Dutch). 12 March 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Internationale dames schermwedstrijd". Het nieuws van den dag (in Dutch). 16 March 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Internationale dames-schermwedstrijd". Het nieuws van den dag (in Dutch). 17 March 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.
- "Internationale dames-schermwedstrijd". De nieuwe courant (in Dutch). 18 March 1914. Retrieved 1 August 2022 – via Delpher.