|Directed by||Peter Hyams|
|Produced by||Peter Hyams|
|Screenplay by||Peter Hyams|
|Story by||2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke|
|Music by||David Shire|
|Editing by||James Mitchell
|Release date(s)||December 7, 1984|
|Running time||116 minutes|
2010 (known also as 2010: The Year We Make Contact) is a 1984 science fiction movie. It was both directed and produced by Peter Hyams. 2010 was released on December 7, 1984. It is based on the Arthur C. Clarke novel 2010: Odyssey Two and is the sequel to the 1968 movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.
The movie got mixed to positive reviews from critics. It has a 66% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Movie critic Roger Ebert rated the movie three out of four stars and said that it "doesn't match the poetry and the mystery of the original film" and that it "has an ending that is infuriating, not only in its simplicity, but in its inadequacy to fulfill the sense of anticipation, the sense of wonder we felt at the end of 2001". He finished his review by "And yet the truth must be told: This is a good movie. Once we've drawn our lines, once we've made it absolutely clear that 2001 continues to stand absolutely alone as one of the greatest movies ever made, once we have freed 2010 of the comparisons with Kubrick's masterpiece, what we are left with is a good-looking, sharp-edged, entertaining, exciting space opera".
Cast[change | change source]
- Roy Scheider as Dr. Heywood R. Floyd
- John Lithgow as Dr. Walter Curnow
- Helen Mirren as Tanya Kirbuk
- Bob Balaban as Dr. R. Chandra
- Keir Dullea as Dave Bowman
- Douglas Rain as the voice of HAL 9000
- Madolyn Smith as Caroline Floyd
- Saveliy Kramarov as Dr. Vladimir Rudenko
- Taliesin Jaffe as Christopher Floyd
- James McEachin as Victor Milson
- Mary Jo Deschanel as Betty Fernandez
- Elya Baskin as Maxim Brailovsky
- Dana Elcar as Dimitri Moiseyevich
- Oleg Rudnik as Dr. Vasili Orlov
- Natasha Shneider as Irina Yakunina
- Vladimir Skomarovsky as Yuri Svetlanov
- Victor Steinbach as Nikolaj Ternovsky
- Candice Bergen as the voice of SAL 9000 (she was credited as Olga Mallsner)
References[change | change source]
- "2010". Box Office Mojo. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=2010.htm. Retrieved 2015-3-12.
- "2010". Rotten Tomatoes. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/2010_the_year_we_make_contact/. Retrieved 2015-3-11.
- "2010". Roger Ebert. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/2010-1984. Retrieved 2015-3-12.
- "The 57th Academy Awards (1985) Nominees and Winners". Academy Awards. http://www.oscars.org/oscars/ceremonies/1985. Retrieved 2015-3-11.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: 2010: The Year We Make Contact|