2017 Tehran attacks
|2017 Tehran attacks|
|Part of terrorism in Iran, ISIL terrorism, spillover of the Syrian civil war|
|Location||Islamic Consultative Assembly and Mausoleum of Ruhollah Khomeini, both in Tehran, Iran|
|Date||7 June 2017 |
10:50–14:14 IRDT (UTC+04:30)
|Suicide bombing, mass shooting, hostage-taking|
|Deaths||23 (18 victims, 5 attackers)|
|Perpetrators||Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant|
No. of participants
On 7 June 2017, two attacks were simultaneously carried out against the Iranian parliament and the Mausoleum of Ruhollah Khomeini, leaving 12 people dead and 42 wounded. ISIS claimed responsibility for both attacks. The shootings were the first terrorist attacks in Tehran in more than a decade, and the first major attack in the country since the 2010 Zahedan bombings.
References[change | change source]
- "Iran attacks: 'IS' hits Parliament and Khomeini mausoleum". BBC. 7 June 2017. Retrieved 8 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Iran attackers fought for Islamic State in Syria, Iraq: ministry". Reuters. Retrieved 8 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "وزارت اطلاعات/هویت عناصر تروریستی حوادث دیروز تهران". vaja.ir.
- Erdbrink, Thomas (7 June 2017). "Islamic State Claims Deadly Iran Attacks on Parliament and Khomeini Tomb". The New York Times.
- "Shootings reported at Iranian parliament and Khomeini shrine". The Guardian. France-Presse Agence. 7 June 2017. Retrieved 7 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Iran shootings: Parliament and shrine attacked". BBC. 7 June 2017.
- Cumming, Jason; Abdelkader, Rima. "Iran Parliament, Khomeini's Mausoleum Attacked; ISIS Claims Responsibility". Retrieved 7 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Iran attacks: Twin assaults on parliament and shrine rock Tehran". CNN. Retrieved 7 June 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to 2017 Tehran attacks at Wikimedia Commons