2017 Unite the Right rally
The Unite the Right rally was a militant gathering of alt-right, neo-Nazi, white nationalist, and far-right groups in Charlottesville, Virginia, on August 11 and 12, 2017. The participants protested the removal of Confederate monuments and memorials from public spaces, specifically the Robert Edward Lee Sculpture in Emancipation Park.
Speakers scheduled to appear included Tim Treadstone, David Duke, Richard Spencer, Mike Enoch, and League of the South founder Michael Hill. Speakers claimed that Jews are ruining the West, and hailed Donald Trump and Adolf Hitler. During the rally, David Duke stated that the rally intended to fulfill the "promises of Donald Trump."
During the rally, a car plowed into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one person, Heather Meyer, and injuring at least 24 others. A nearby police helicopter monitoring the response to the rally violence crashed, killing the two troopers on board.
Witnesses described the violence as having originated from white nationalists.
President Donald Trump said: "We all must be united & condemn all that hate stands for. There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Let's come together as one!" He added that he condemned "in the strongest possible terms" what he called an "egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides. On many sides." Trump added that "What is vital now is a swift restoration of law and order."
References[change | change source]
- "Charlottesville Groups Send Out 'Call to Action' Against Upcoming Rally" (in en). http://www.nbc29.com/story/35996322/charlottesville-groups-send-out-call-to-action-against-upcoming-rally.
- "The Alt-Right Goes Panhandling". gizmodo.com. http://gizmodo.com/the-alt-right-goes-panhandling-1797465499/amp.
- "Ex-KKK Leader David Duke Says White Supremacists Will ‘Fulfill’ Trump’s Promises". Huffington Post. August 12, 2017. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/david-duke-charlottesville-rally-trump_us_598f3ca8e4b0909642974a10.
- Abby Jackson (August 12, 2017). "Former KKK leader David Duke strikes out at Trump for condemning a white nationalist rally: 'It was White Americans who put you in the presidency'". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/david-duke-strikes-out-at-trump-for-condemning-charlottesville-rally-2017-8. Retrieved August 12, 2017.
- KTRK. "Officials: White nationalist rally linked to 3 deaths". abc13.com. http://abc13.com/1-dead-19-injured-in-violent-car-attack-at-virginia-rally/2300470/. Retrieved August 12, 2017. "car plowed into a crowd of people peacefully protesting a white nationalist rally Saturday in a Virginia college town, killing one person, hurting at least two dozen more"
- "Unite the Right: White supremacists rally in Virginia". www.aljazeera.com. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/08/unite-white-supremacists-rally-virginia-170812142356688.html.
- Jenna Johnson & John Wagner, Trump condemns Charlottesville violence but doesn’t single out white nationalists, Washington Post (August 12, 2017).
- Ben Jacobs & Warren Murray, Charlottesville: Trump under fire after failing to denounce white supremacists, The Guardian (August 12, 2017).