2018 New Caledonian independence referendum

From Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The results from the referendum. Green means "yes" and red means "no" for New Caledonia to leave France

An independence referendum was held in New Caledonia on 4 November 2018.[1][2] Voters were given the choice of remaining part of France or becoming an independent country.

Announced in the evening of polling day, the result was 56.4% for against leaving and 43.6% for independence. The turnout was 80% of the 174,995 voters eligible to vote in this referendum.

A second one was held in 2020, with 53.26% of voters choosing against Independence.[3]

References[change | change source]

  1. "New Caledonia, French Leaders Look To Finalize Plans For 2018 Referendum | Pacific Islands Report". www.pireport.org. 2016-11-07. Archived from the original on 2019-05-04. Retrieved 2018-11-08.
  2. Willsher, Kim (19 March 2018). "New Caledonia sets date for independence referendum". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
  3. "New Caledonia referendum: South Pacific territory rejects independence from France". BBC News. 4 October 2020. Retrieved 4 October 2020.