|Private (subsidiary of Tesoro Corporation)|
|Industry||Oil & Gas Extraction|
|Headquarters||La Palma, California, United States|
Number of locations
|Parent||British Petroleum (2000-2013)|
Tesoro Corporation (2013-present)
ARCO (short for Atlantic Richfield Company, the original name) is a United States oil company. It has operationsn 2 in the United States, Indonesia, the North Sea, and the South China Sea. As of July 2011, it had more than 1,300 gas stations in the western part of the United States.
ARCO's original parent companies included:
- Atlantic Petroleum, which opened its first gas station in 1915 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Richfield Oil Company, which opened its first gas station in 1917 in Los Angeles, California.
Between 1970 and 2000, ARCO had a complicated corporate history. By 1985, it sold its Eastern US business to a new Atlantic Petroleum. In 2000, the remaining Western US business was bought by British Petroleum (BP). Finally, in 2013, BP sold ARCO and the Carson Refinery to Tesoro for $2.5 billion.
Oil discovery[change | change source]
In 1957, Richfield was the first to drill for oil in Alaska. On July 15 of that year they struck oil with their first well. It was the first major oil discovery in Alaska and tested at 900 barrels a day. In 1968 they partnered with Exxon for Alaska North Slope oil production. In 1980, they were the seventh largest oil company in the United States.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Atlantic Richfield Chemical and Oil (ARCO) (American oil company) - Britannica Online Encyclopedia". Britannica.com. Retrieved 9 October 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Official About ARCO Page". ARCO. Archived from the original on 2011-07-07. Retrieved 2011-07-07. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Tesoro Corporation Closes the Purchase of BP's Southern California Refining and Marketing Business". The Wall Street Journal. June 3, 2013.
- "Oil Discovery and Development in Alaska". Alaska Humanities Forum. Retrieved 24 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Richfield Oil Corporation". Retrieved 24 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "A Brief History of Major Oil Companies in The Gulf Region". University of Virginia. Retrieved 24 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Atlantic Richfield Co., the nation's seventh largest oil company,..." United Press International, Inc. 27 October 1980. Retrieved 24 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ARCO (Atlantic Richfield Company).|