Spanish Data Protection Agency
The Spanish Data Protection Agency (Agencia Española de Protección de Datos) (AEPD) is the national data protection authority from the Kingdom of Spain. It is an agency dependant of the Spanish Ministry of Justice that was created in 1993. It is tasked with protecting Spaniards privacy.
This agency ensures compliance of the Organic Law 15/1999 as of December, 15 de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal. It is situated in Madrid and it has the power to act in all the Kingdom. Currently the director of the agency is José Luis Rodríguez Álvarez. Previously it was Mr. Artemi Rallo Lombarte.
The Spanish Data Protection Agency is a public law entity with legal personality. It has full public and private capacity to act independently of public administration in the exercise of their functions. It ensures that the titulars of the files that contains personal information strictly follows the data protection legislation.
Functions[change | change source]
- Ensures the compliance with the laws regarding data protection; specially ensures that the rights of access, rectification, cancellation and opposition are respected.
- In relation to those seeking data
- The Spanish Data Protection Agency has the power to impose fines to those not respecting the law.
- Issuing authorizations in the manner prescribed by law.
- Require corrective actions.
- Order, in cases of unlawful data processing, the termination and deletion of the data.
- Issuing authorizations of international transfers of data.
- In relation to the citizens
- Processing their complains regarding suspected violations of the data protection laws.
- Inform the citizens about their rights regarding the data protection law.
- Regarding the telecommunication services
- Protect the rights and interests of the subscribers and the users in the field of the electronic communications, including sending unsolicited commercial communications made through mail or electronic media equivalent (spam).
References[change | change source]
- "Royal Act 428/1993 as of March, 23; that creates the "Agencia Española de Protección de Datos" and its statutes" (PDF). Boletín Oficial del Estado (Kingdom of Spain Official Gazette). http://boe.es/boe/dias/1993/05/04/pdfs/A13244-13250.pdf. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- "Organic Law 15/1999 de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal" (PDF). Boletín Oficial del Estado (Kingdom of Spain Official Gazette). http://boe.es/boe/dias/1999/12/14/pdfs/A43088-43099.pdf. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- "Royal Act 853/2011 as of June, 17 that decrees the appointment of José Luis Rodríguez Álvarez as director of the Agencia Española de Protección de Datos.". Boletín Oficial del Estado (Kingdom of Spain Official Gazzette). 18 June 2011. http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2011/06/18/pdfs/BOE-A-2011-10610.pdf. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Royal Act 851/2011 that decrees the cease of Artemi Rallo Lombarte as director of the Agencia Española de Protección de Datos". Boletín Oficial del Estado (Kingdom of Spain Official Gazzette). 18 June 2011. http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2011/06/18/pdfs/BOE-A-2011-10608.pdf. Retrieved 18 June 2011.