Arrondissements of the French Guiana department
There are 2 arrondissements in the French Guiana department. The French departments, and in other countries, are divided into arrondissements, which may be translated into English as districts (in some cases, as boroughs). The capital of an arrondissement is called a subprefecture.
If the prefecture (capital) of the department is in an arrondissement, that prefecture is the capital of the arrondissement, acting both as a prefecture and as a subprefecture.
Arrondissements are further divided into communes.
The arrondissements of French Guiana are:
History[change | change source]
- 1946 : lthe French Guiana becomes an overseas department of France with only the arrondissement of Cayenne.
- 1951 : the territory of Inini became the second arrondissement of the department.
- 1969 : thearrondissement of Inini was changed to become the arrondissement of Saint-Laurent-du-Maroni.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Régions, départements, arrondissements, cantons et communes" (PDF). Populations légales 2014 (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Département de la Guyane (973)". Comparateur de territoire (in French). Institut national de la statistique et des études économiques - INSEE. Retrieved 12 February 2017.