As the World Turns
|As the World Turns|
|Created by||Irna Phillips|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||13,858|
|Executive producer(s)||Christopher Goutman|
|Running time||60 minutes|
(30 minutes from 1956 to 1975)
|Original release||April 2, 1956 –|
September 17, 2010
Set in the made-up town of Oakdale, Illinois, the show first went on TV on Monday, April 2, 1956 at 1:30pm EST. Before this show, all soaps were fifteen minutes in length; ATWT was the first half-hour soap opera.
At first, viewers were not excited about it, but ratings picked up in its second year, and reached the top spot in the daytime Nielsen Ratings by the fall of 1958. As the World Turns was the most-watched daytime drama from 1958 until 1978, with ten million people watching each day. At its height, the main actors such as Helen Wagner, Don MacLaughlin, Don Hastings, and Eileen Fulton became very well known in the United States.
The show went from black-and-white to color in the mid-1960s, with the final black-and-white episode shown on February 10, 1967. The show went from a half-hour in length to one hour starting on December 1, 1975. Also in 1975, they stopped doing the show live, and decided to tape it instead - that way, more than one episode could be taped in a day, and the actors would not have to work every day.
April 2, 2006 was the 50th anniversary of the soap opera on CBS. The show aired its 13,000th episode April 23, 2007; the 10,000th episode aired on May 12, 1995. As the World Turns is well known for having been taped in New York City for all of its 52 years on television (43 years in Manhattan and nine years in Brooklyn). On December 8, 2009, CBS announced that As the World Turns would air its last episode in September 2010.
References[change | change source]
- tv.com, As The World Turns, archived from the original on 2007-09-30, retrieved 2007-04-30
- Grant, Matthew, Daytime Soap Operas - Trivia, archived from the original on 2007-04-21, retrieved 2007-04-30
- soap-news.com, ATWT Ratings, archived from the original on 2009-02-10, retrieved 2007-04-30
- AS THE WORLD TURNS, archived from the original on 2007-05-04, retrieved 2007-04-30
- Krause, Lauren, New York on Film, retrieved 2007-04-30
- "CBS cancels another daytime drama". Retrieved 2009-12-08.
Other websites[change | change source]
- ATWT Website Archived 2010-10-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Procter & Gamble Productions Forum Archived 2008-02-24 at the Wayback Machine
- CBS-TV: ATWT
- "As the World Turns" Archived 2008-12-25 at the Wayback Machine at Yahoo! TV
- Soapdom: ATWT Archived 2009-11-05 at the Wayback Machine
- ATWT Information & Message Board
- As the World Turns at TV.com
- As the World Turns on IMDb
- Soap Opera Network: ATWT
- Soap Opera Network: ATWT Previews
- ATWT Storyline Suggestions
- As the World Turns (Dutch) Archived 2008-07-27 at the Wayback Machine at RTL 4, Netherlands
- Daytime Soap Operas As The World Turns- news, rumors, cast updates, polls
- Official ATWT Dutch Fanclub
- Full episodes of As the World Turns