Assassination of Orlando Letelier
|Date||September 21, 1976 |
9:30 am (UTC-04:00)
The Assassination of Orlando Letelier was a car bombing which killed Orlando Letelier, a Chilean socialist political figure when Salvador Allende was president of Chile during those years. It all starts when he was based in the United States as an activist but Letelier was assassinated in Washington, D.C. with mainly his American assistant, Ronni Karpen Moffitt and her husband Michael (who worked for Letelier) by some Chilean DINA agents in September 21, 1976. Until 9/11, it was known as the most infamous act of international terrorism situated in the capital of the US.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- John Dinges and Saul Landau, Assassination on Embassy Row, London (1981). Retrieved in August 7, 2016
- Pinochet directly ordered killing on US soil of Chilean diplomat, papers reveal The Guardian October 8, 2015. Retrieved in August 7, 2016.
Bibliography[change | change source]
- Dinges, John, and Landau, Saul. Assassination on Embassy Row (London, 1981) ISBN 0-07-016998-5, (McGraw-Hill, 1981)
- Dinges, John. The Condor Years (The New Press: 2004) ISBN 1-56584-764-4
- Hitchens, Christopher, The Trial of Henry Kissinger, (Verso: 2001) ISBN 1-85984-631-9
- Taylor Branch and Eugene M Propper Labyrinth (Viking Press 1983, Penguin Books1983 ISBN 0-14-006683-7)
Other websites[change | change source]
- Orlando Letelier Archive held by the Transnational Institute.
- MIPT Terrorism Knowledge Base Nine legal documents from the trials of Letelier's assassins. Includes trial transcripts.
- Institute for Policy Studies, where Letelier and Moffitt worked at the time, gives circumstances surrounding bombing.
- John Dinges John Dinges was a correspondent for the "Washington Post" in South America from 1975 to 1983, author of The Condor Years: How Pinochet and his Allies Brought Terrorism to Three Continents (The New Press 2004) and (with Saul Landau Assassination on Embassy Row (Pantheon 1980), (Asesinato en Washington, Lasser 1980, Planeta 1990)