|Location||Attabad, Hunza, Pakistan|
|Primary inflows||Hunza River, 2800 cu ft/sec (26 May 2010)|
|Primary outflows||Hunza River overflowing landslide dam, 3700 cu ft/sec (4 June 2010)|
|Max. length||13 miles (21 km)|
|Max. depth||358 feet (109 m)|
|Water volume||0.33 million acre feet (26 May 2010)|
Attabad Lake (sometimes called Gojal Lake) is a lake in Hunza Valley in northern Pakistan. The lake was created by a landslide which happened in the village of Attabad on 4 January 2010. The landslide killed twenty people. It blocked the flow of the Hunza River for five months.
The flooding caused by the blockage covered the Karakoram Highway. Six thousand people had to move from upstream villages. Another 25,000 people had to stay where they were because roads were blocked. It inundated over 12 miles (19 km) of the Karakoram Highway.
By the first week of June 2010, the new lake was 13 miles (21 km) long and over 330 feet (100 m) deep. At that time, it flowed over the landslide dam, completely submerging lower Shishkat and partly flooding Gulmit. The subdivision of Gojal has the greatest number of flooded buildings, over 170 houses and 120 shops. The residents also had shortages of food and other items due to the blockage of the Karakoram Highway. By June 4 water outflow from the lake had increased to 3700 cu ft/sec.
References[change | change source]
- Shabbir Ahmed Mir (26 May 2010). "Attabad lake swallows Shishkat". The Express Tribune. http://tribune.com.pk/story/16251/attabad-lake-swallows-shishkat/. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- "Surging water destroys banks of Atta Abad Lake". The News International. 2140 PST, Monday, May 17, 2010. http://www.thenews.com.pk/updates.asp?id=104943. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- Siddiqi, Tanvir (24 May 2010). "Attabad Lake submerges more homes". PakObserver. http://pakobserver.net/detailnews.asp?id=32339. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- "Attabad Lake victims end protest after talks". The Nation. 22 May 2010. http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Regional/Islamabad/22-May-2010/Attabad-Lake-victims-end-protest-after-talks. Retrieved 24 May 2010.
- Water level rising in Attabad lake
- Hunza Blog by Professor Dave Petley, Durham University, England