Attack on Titan
|Attack on Titan|
|進撃の巨人(Shingeki no Kyojin)|
|Genre||Dark fantasy, post-apocalyptic|
|Written by||Hajime Isayama|
|Magazine||Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine|
|Original run||September 9, 2009 – ongoing|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Tetsurō ArakiMasashi Koizuka (Season 2)|
|Produced by||Tetsuya Kinoshita
Kensuke Tateishi George WadaShin Furukawa Tomohito Nagase Toshihiro Maeda
|Written by||Yasuko Kobayashi|
|Music by||Hiroyuki Sawano|
|Studio||Wit StudioProduction I.G (Production cooperation)|
|Network||MBS, Tokyo MX, BS11, FBS, TOS, HTB, TVA, GTV, GYT, TVS, tvk, CTC, RSK, BSN, RCC, SBC, TBC, SBS, IBC, RKK, ITC|
|English network||Template:English anime network|
|Original run||April 7, 2013 – ongoing|
|Episodes||37 + 5 OVA|
Attack on Titan (進撃の巨人 Shingeki no Kyojin) is a manga series written and illustrated by Hajime Isayama. It was adapted into an anime series and was produced by Wit Studio and Production I.G. A 2015 film of the same name was released.
Plot[change | change source]
The series follows the story of Eren Jäger (a teenager boy), his adopted sister, Mikasa Ackerman, and their friend Armin Arlert (Emotional blond baby). They live in a world after the apocalypse caused by man-eating human-like giants called Titans, and they're members of what is likely the last surviving bit of civilization. Their civilization is surrounded by three protective walls called Wall Maria, Wall Rose, and Wall Sina. Eventually, Wall Maria, the outermost wall, is destroyed by the skinless Colossal Titan and the powerful big Armored Titan, leading other titans to infiltrate the outermost areas of civilization and begin their slaughter. The destruction that was caused by the titans kills Eren's mother and he vows revenge against the Titans. Eren enlists in the military and is also accompanied by Mikasa and Armin. Years after his first battle against the Titans, Eren finds out that he has the ability to transform into a Titan at will. After others found this out, Eren was seen as a threat to mankind by some but was also seen as a chance of hope by others. He later joins his companions to fight and protect what remains of their society while he also looks for answers to the mysteries surrounding the Titans, the Walls, as well as his own existence.
Anime[change | change source]
The anime was directed by Tetsurō Araki. It started broadcasting in Japan on July 8, 2013. It aired on MBS and ran from April 6, 2013 to September 28, 2013. Funimation intends to release the series in North America on home video in 2014.
Reception[change | change source]
The series has been highly praised and has won multiple awards including the Kodansha Manga Award in the shōnen category in 2011 and best director, best script, best soundtrack, runner-up for commercial, best theme song, top female character, and title of the year in the 3rd Newtype Anime Awards.
The 2012 edition of Kono Manga ga Sugoi! named the series the 8th best manga series for male readers. Six of the seven English volumes that were published in North America have charted on The New York Times Manga Best Seller list for the week of October 13, 2013, with volume one having been on the list for 19 weeks. Volume one was #2 on Nielsen BookScan's list of top 20 graphic novels in American bookstores for August 2013, and for the month of September, the series had more volumes on the list than any other series. The series was also named one of the Young Adult Library Services Association's "Great Graphic Novels for Teens"
References[change | change source]
- Thompson, Jason (November 14, 2013). "House of 1000 Manga: Crunchyroll Manga". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on March 30, 2014. https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/house-of-1000-manga/2013-11-14. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- "Attack on Titan Now Monthly". Press release. July 6, 2013. Archived from the original on September 5, 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140905030922/http://kodanshacomics.com/attack-on-titan-manga-to-move-to-monthly-release-starting-in-august/. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- "Yuuki Kaji, Yui Ishikawa, Marina Inoue Lead Attack on Titan Cast". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Funimation Plans Attack on Titan on Home Video in 2014". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "March comes in like a lion, Space Bros. Win Kodansha Manga Awards". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Attack on Titan Wins Top Prizes in Newtype Anime Awards". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "13 Titles Nominated for 4th Manga Taisho Awards". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "16th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize Nominees Announced". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Top Manga Ranked by Kono Manga ga Sugoi 2012 Voters". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "New York Times Manga Best Seller List, October 13-19". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "Naruto, Attack on Titan Top Graphic Novels in U.S. Bookstores in August". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "5 Attack on Titan Graphic Novels Land in U.S. Bookstores' Top 20 in September". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.
- "U.S. Librarians Rank Stargazing Dog in Teens' Top 10". Anime News Network. Retrieved 2013-10-31.