Banks performing at the 2012 NME Awards
|Birth name||Azealia Amanda Banks|
|Also known as|
|Born||May 31, 1991|
Harlem, New York, U.S.
|Years active||2008-October 9, 2018|
Azealia Amanda Banks (born May 31, 1991) is an American rapper, singer, and songwriter. She was born in Harlem, New York City. On November 9, 2008 she made a Myspace account and released her first song, "Gimme a Chance" on it as "Miss Bank$". Later that year she was signed by XL Recordings. In 2011 Banks was chosen by NME as No.1 of their Cool List of the year. Her first album Broke with Expensive Taste is going to be released in January 2014. Her second album, Fantasea II: The Second Wave is going to be released July 2013. On December 6, 2011 Banks' first single "212" was released. On May 28, 2012 her first EP 1991 was released in the UK. It was released in the US the next day. A video for the song "Van Vogue" was released. On July 11, 2012 a 19-song mixtape called Fantasea was released for free download. Banks' second single "Esta Noche" was going to be released September 25, 2012, but a day before this was cancelled because the producer Munchi said she "stole" the track.
On December 4, 2012 the single "Liquorice" was released.
Banks made a dark purple lipstick with MAC called "Yung Rapunxel". It was marketed online from September 6 to 20, 2012.
Personal life[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "The Making of Azealia Banks". August 28, 2012.
- Goodwyn, Tom (November 22, 2011). "Azealia Banks tops the 2011 NME Cool List". NME.
- Nast, Condé. "Video: Azealia Banks: "Van Vogue"". Pitchfork.
- Goodwyn, Tom (July 12, 2012). "Azealia Banks gives away free 19-track mixtape 'Fantasea'". NME.
- "Azealia Banks Pulls Single "Esta Noche" After Producer Munchi Denies Permission". Pitchfork.
- http://www.blackbookmag.com/azealia-banks-gets-her-own-mac-lipstick-1.52251[permanent dead link]
- Copsey, Robert (January 10, 2014). "Azealia Banks debuts BeyoncÃ© remix". Digital Spy.
Other websites[change | change source]