Béla Károlyi, gymnastics coach at the Visa Championships held in the American Airlines Center, Dallas on August 15, 2009.
September 13, 1942|
Kolozsvár, Hungary (Cluj-Napoca, Romania)
|Alma mater||Romania College of Physical Education|
|Known for||Romanian centralized gymnastics training system and coach to world champions|
Béla Károlyi (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈbeːlɒ ˈkaːroji]; born September 13, 1942) is a Romanian gymnastics coach. He was born in Kolozsvár (now Cluj-Napoca). At the time it was part of Hungary. He helped coach several gymnasts during the 1996 Summer Olympics.
References[change | change source]
- Garcia, Marlen, "Karolyis build haven for American gymnasts", USA Today, February 20, 2012.
- Latimer, Clay, "Karolyis' Olympics rise is gym dandy: Husband-and-wife team have shaped gymnastics in U.S.", Rocky Mountain News, August 3, 2008
- "Restoration - Northern Transylvania: 1940". Central European University.
- Cf. Northern Transylvania and Cluj-Napoca articles for precise history and further citations
Other websites[change | change source]
- Béla Karolyi's bio at USA Gymnastics
- Image of Karolyi carrying Kerri Strug
- "Bela Karolyi: World Renowned Gymnastics Coach", Shade Global, New York, NY (PDF version)