FTSE 100 Component
|Industry||Metals and Mining|
|Founded||Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited (BHP) 1885;|
Billiton plc 1860;
Merger of BHP & Billiton 2001 (creation of a DLC)
(BHP Billiton Group & BHP Billiton Limited)
London, United Kingdom
(BHP Billiton plc)
|Ken MacKenzie (Chairman)|
Andrew Mackenzie (CEO)
|Products||Iron ore, coal, petroleum, copper, natural gas, nickel & uranium|
|Revenue||US$38.285 billion (2017)|
|US$11.753 billion (2017)|
|US$6.222 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
BHP Billiton,is a company headquartered in Melbourne , Victoria, Australia.. It mines metals and petroleum. It was founded in 1885, in Broken Hill. Broken Hill is a mining town in the center of Australia. In 2017, BHP was the world's largest mining company, based on market capitalization, and as Australia's third-largest company by revenue, which "almost tripled between 2004 and 2012."
BHP Billiton was formed in 2001 through the merger of the Australian Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited (BHP) and the Anglo–Dutch Billiton plc. The Australia-registered Limited has a primary listing on the Australian Securities Exchange and is one of the largest companies in Australia by market capitalization. The English-registered plc arm has a primary listing on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
In 2017, most Billiton assets were severed and rebranded as South32, while a scaled-down BHP Billiton became BHP.
References[change | change source]
- "Global Headquarters". BHP.com. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Annual Report 2017" (PDF). BHP. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "About us". BHP Billiton. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- Statista "Top mining companies worldwide based on market capitalization in 2017", Statista.com. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Els, Frik "Top 50 mining companies reshuffle as Chinese, lithium firms climb rankings", Mining.com, June 5, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Hall, Ben, et al Archived 2019-03-28 at the Wayback Machine "THE 2017 MELBOURNE TOP COMPANIES REVEALED: THE TOP 10", by Ben Hall, David Simmons, Paris Faint, Yasmin Bonnell, Business News Australia, June 2, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Statista "2017 ranking of the global top mining companies based on revenue (in billion U.S. dollars)", Statista.com, 2018. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "BHP Billiton merger confirmed". www.abc.net.au. 19 March 2001. Retrieved 18 April 2011.