|Origin||Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Genres||Pop, pop rock, R&B, teen pop, adult contemporary|
|Labels||Jive, Legacy Recordings|
|Associated acts||NKOTBSB, New Kids on the Block|
Backstreet Boys, also known as BSB, is an American pop supergroup that became popular during the 1990s and 2000s. They are the highest selling boy band of all time with 130 million records sold. The members are Nick Carter, Howie Dorough, AJ McLean, Kevin Richardson and Brian Littrell. Kevin Richardson left the group in 2006 and rejoined in 2012.
History[change | change source]
Backstreet Boys originated in Orlando, Florida and was formed on April 20, 1993 by Lou Pearlman with the help of a producer, Lil’ Shy. The early line-up of the group were Howie Dorough (19), AJ McLean (15), Nick Carter (13), Sam Licata and Charles Edwards. However Licata and Edwards left in early 1993 for personal reasons. In April 1993, Kevin Richardson along with his cousin Brian Littrell completed the group.
After series of tours and the failure of possible Mercury Records, the Backstreet Boys was finally spotlighted in Cleveland, Ohio by Jive Records in February 1994. They recorded their very first single, “We’ve Got it Goin’, written by Denniz PoP and included in Backstreet Boys’ first self-titled album that was released in summer of 1996.
Members[change | change source]
- Howie Dorough was born in Orlando, Florida on August 22, 1973. He started his entertainment career at a tender age of six when he participated in an Orlando Production, The Wizard of Oz. As he grew old, he became more active in their school choir and theater. Howie has also performed in various Nickelodeon productions and other movies.
- AJ McLean was born in West Palm Beach, Florida on January 9, 1978. Like Howie, he was also a product of Nickelodeon and Disney Productions. AJ joined the group after a series of auditions with original co-members, Howie Dorough and Nick Carter.
- Nick Carter was born in Jamestown, New York on January 28, 1980. Being the youngest member of Backstreet Boys, Nick at his very young age of 12 hit the music industry along with his co-members with his rasping but melodic voice. True artist at heart, he also auditioned in several acting roles and appeared in the popular in 1990, the Edward Scissorhands. Nick together with AJ McLean and Howie Dorough was recruited by Lou Pearlman in his forming group. Nick Carter is the elder brother of singer Aaron Carter.
- Kevin Richardson was born in Lexington, Kentucky, USA on October 3, 1971. Kevin grew up in a farm with his parents and two siblings. After graduating in high school, Kevin left his family to pursue his dream of becoming an actor and a singer. He along with his older brother went to Orlando, Florida to try his luck. He became a model, tour guide at Walt Disney World and a dance instructor. At age 21, he joined Backstreet Boys and convinced his cousin, Brian Littrell to also join the group. Kevin left the group on June 23, 2006 and rejoined on April 29, 2012.
- Brian Littrell completed the Backstreet Boys group as its fifth member in 1993 after a phone audition to Lou Pearlman. Brian is the cousin of Kevin Richardson. Born on February 20, 1975 in Lexington, Kentucky USA, Brian began singing as a child in a nearby church. He went to Orlando, Florida and completed the group on April 20,1993.
Charts[change | change source]
|Year||Title||US Peak||US Weeks||UK Peak||UK Weeks||Album|
|2005||Just Want You To Know||70||3||8||2||Never Gone|
|2001-2002||Drowning||28||80||4||7||Greatest Hits: Chapter 1|
|2001||More Than That||27||20||12||5||Black & Blue|
|The Call||56||2||8||5||Black & Blue|
|2000||Shape of My Heart||9||20||4||9||Black & Blue|
|Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely||6||24||3||12||Millennium|
|1999||Larger Than Life||25||19||5||14||Millennium|
|I Want It That Way||6||45||1||14||Millennium|
|1998-1999||All I Have to Give||5||21||2||12||Backstreet Boys/Backstreet's Back|
|1998||I'll Never Break Your Heart||35||2||8||11||Backstreet Boys/Backstreet's Back|
|Everybody (Backstreet's Back)||4||22||8||11||Backstreet Boys/Backstreet's Back|
|1997||As Long As You Love Me||-||-||3||19||Backstreet's Back|
|Quit Playin' Games (With My Heart)||2||43||2||10||Backstreet Boys/Backstreet's Back|
|Anywhere For You||-||-||4||8||Backstreet Boys|
|1996||Get Down (You're the One For Me)||-||-||14||8||Backstreet Boys|
|1995||We've Got It Goin' On||69||20||3||8||Backstreet Boys|
Discography[change | change source]
Comprehensive list of the recordings made.
Albums[change | change source]
|2013||In A World Like This|
|2009||This Is Us|
|2000||Black & Blue|
Singles[change | change source]
|2018||Don’t Go Breaking My Heart|
|2013||Show ’Em (What You’re Made Of)|
|2013||In a World like This|
|2012||Its Christmas Time Again|
|2009||Straight Through My Heart|
|2007||Helpless When She Smiles|
|2005||Crawling Back to You|
|2005||Just Want You to Know|
|2000||More Than That|
|2000||Shape of My Heart|
|1999||Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely|
|1999||Larger Than Life|
|1999||I Want It That Way|
|1997||All I Have To Give|
|1997||I'll Never Break Your Heart|
|1997||Everybody (Backstreet's Back)|
|1997||As Long As You Love Me|
|1996||Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)|
|1996||Anywhere For You|
|1996||Get Down (You're The One For Me)|
|1996||We've Got It Goin' On|
Influences[change | change source]
- Richard Marx
- Boyz II Men
- Take That
- Spice Girls
- Michael Jackson
- New Kids on the Block
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Backstreet Boys.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Backstreet Boys|