Joel at opening night of the 2009 season at the Metropolitan Opera
|Birth name||William Martin Joel|
|Born||May 9, 1949
The Bronx, New York, U.S.
|Origin||Hicksville, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Rock, rock and roll, soft rock, piano rock, pop, classical|
|Occupations||Musician, singer-songwriter, composer|
|Labels||Columbia, Family Productions, Sony Classical|
|Associated acts||The Echoes, The Hassles, Attila, Billy Joel Band|
|Steinway Grand Piano, Hammond organ, Baldwin piano,
Gibson Les Paul,
Gibson Les Paul Junior,
William Martin "Billy" Joel (born May 9, 1949) is an American singer-songwriter. He produced successful pop songs for two decades, from 1973's Piano Man to 1993's River of Dreams which marked his retirement. As well as writing classical music, he has frequently been on the road, usually with Elton John.
Joel was born in the Bronx, New York City. He grew up in Hicksville, Long Island, New York. He joined his first band The Echoes (Later known as The Lost Souls) at age fourteen, and in the late 1960s he teamed up with The Hassles. The Hassles when on to release two albums. In 1970 After parting ways with The Hassles Joel and Hassles Drummer Jon Small Formed a two-man duo Attila. In 1971 his solo debut, Cold Spring Harbor, was released. (The title takes its name from a town in Long Island.)
Joel has been married four times. The first three ended in divorce. His first marriage was from 1973-1982. His second marriage, from 1985-1994, was to supermodel Christie Brinkley. Their daughter, Alexa Ray Joel (born 1985) is one of his two children. His daughter's middle name is taken from one of his musical influences, Ray Charles. His third marriage began in 2004. His fourth marriage with Alexis Roderick began in 2015. They had one child; Della Rose Joel, who was born on the 12th of August 2015.
2015.Discography[change | change source]
- Studio albums
- Cold Spring Harbor (1971)
- Piano Man (1973)
- Streetlife Serenade (1974)
- Turnstiles (1976)
- The Stranger (1977)
- 52nd Street (1978)
- Glass Horses (1980)
- The Nylon Curtain (1982)
- An Innocent Man (1983)
- The Bridge (1986)
- Storm Front (1989)
- River of Dreams (1993)
- Fantasies & Delusions (2001)
References[change | change source]
- Billy Joel Biography. billyjoel.com. Retrieved on December 7, 2008.
- Explore: Soft Rock – Top Artists – AllMusic at the Internet Archive
- Edmondson, Jacqueline (2006). Condoleezza Rice: A biography. The United States: Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 22. ISBN 978-0-313-33607-2. http://books.google.dk/books?id=YWcX0F0o88cC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA22.
- "Billy Joel's campaign donations". NewsMeat.com. Archived from the original on October 15, 2012. http://web.archive.org/web/20121015083423/http://newsmeat.com/celebrity_political_donations/Billy_Joel.php. Retrieved December 8, 2008.