Buena Vista ( BEW-nə-VIS-tə) is an independent city located in the Blue Ridge Mountains region of Virginia in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,650.
Formerly named "Hart's Bottom", "Green Forest" or "Green Valley" until 1888, and chartered as a town in 1890, Buena Vista was granted a city charter on February 15, 1892.
Founded by Benjamin C. Moomaw in the late 1800s, the town consisted only of a simple tannery at the intersection of two railroads and a canal. The Richmond and Alleghany Railroad and the Shenandoah Valley Railroad,
Buena Vista is home to Southern Virginia University, which had an enrollment of 928 full-time students in the fall of 2017.
- ↑ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ↑ "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ↑ "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- ↑ "Buena Vista endures name changes, anniversary dispute, boom and bust times | The News Leader | newsleader.com". newsleader.com. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- ↑ "www.buenavistavirginia.org". buenavistavirginia.org. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- ↑ Whitehead, T.; Virginia. Dept. of Agriculture; Virginia. Board of Agriculture (1893). Virginia, a Hand-book: Giving Its History, Climate, and Mineral Wealth, Its Educational, Agricultural, and Industrial Advantages. Everett Waddey Company. p. 177. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- ↑ "Southern Virginia University Grows 40 Percent in Four Years". Southern Virginia University. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
Coordinates: 37°43′56″N 79°21′12″W / 37.732184°N 79.353325°W