Jump to navigation Jump to search
A buzzard is one of several large birds.
Old World[change | change source]
In the Old World buzzard can mean:
- One of several medium-sized, wide-ranging raptors with a robust body and broad wings.
- In particular, those in the genus Buteo. In the Old World, members of this genus are named as "buzzards", but "hawk" is more common in North America.
- Specifically, in Europe, the common buzzard, Buteo buteo. Most people call this bird 'buzzard'.
- Any raptor with the word buzzard as part of its name.
New World[change | change source]
In the New World 'buzzard' can mean:
- A vulture. Mostly the American black vulture and turkey vulture. It can be used as a general name for vultures.
- In parts of the United States where they are thought to be a pest, the name is used in a bad way to mean a bird of prey. Mostly it is used for the Cooper's hawk, the sharp-shinned hawk the red-tailed hawk or the duck hawk.
Buteo species[change | change source]
- Common buzzard (Buteo buteo)
- Red-tailed hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)
- Long-legged buzzard (Buteo rufinus)
- Rough-legged buzzard (Buteo lagopus)
- Ferruginous hawk (Buteo regalis)
- Red-shouldered hawk (Buteo lineatus)
- Broad-winged hawk (Buteo platypterus )
- Swainson's hawk (Buteo swainsoni)
- Roadside hawk (Buteo magnirostris)
- Ridgway's hawk (Buteo ridgwayi)
- White-rumped hawk (Buteo leucorrhous)
- Short-tailed hawk (Buteo brachyurus)
- White-throated hawk (Buteo albigula)
- White-tailed hawk (Buteo albicaudatus)
- Galápagos hawk (Buteo galapagoensis)
- Red-backed hawk (Buteo polyosoma)
- Puna hawk (Buteo poecilochrous)
- Gray hawk (Buteo nitidus)
- Zone-tailed hawk (Buteo albonotatus )
- Hawaiian hawk (Buteo solitarius)
- Rufous-tailed hawk (Buteo ventralis)
- Mountain buzzard (Buteo oreophilus)
- Madagascar buzzard (Buteo brachypterus)
- Upland buzzard (Buteo hemilasius)
- Red-necked buzzard (Buteo auguralis)
- Augur buzzard, Buteo augur
- Archer's buzzard, Buteo archeri
- Jackal buzzard (Buteo rufofuscus)
Other species known as "buzzard"[change | change source]
- Black-breasted buzzard (Hamirostra melanosternon)
- Lizard buzzard (Kaupifalco monogrammicus)
- Grasshopper buzzard (Butastur rufipennis)
- White-eyed buzzard (Butastur teesa)
- Rufous-winged buzzard (Butastur liventer)
- Grey-faced buzzard (Butastur indicus)
- Black-chested buzzard-eagle (Geranoaetus melanoleucus)
- The honey-buzzards, genus Pernis, look something like Buteo buzzards. They feed on wasp nests and larvae.
- Other genus of honey buzzards