COVID-19 pandemic in Pakistan
|COVID-19 pandemic in Pakistan|
Map of confirmed cases per million inhabitants as of 15 June 2020[update]
Map of confirmed cases as of 15 June 2020[update]
Map of confirmed deaths as of 15 June 2020[update]
|First outbreak||Wuhan, Hubei, China|
|Arrival date||26 February 2020|
(7 months, 2 weeks and 5 days)
Cases[change | change source]
The first case in Pakistan happened when a student in Karachi tested positive after returning from Iran. By 18 March, cases had been registered in all four provinces, the two autonomous territories, and the federal territory of Islamabad.
Numbers[change | change source]
As of 11 May 2020,[update] there have been over 34,300 confirmed cases with 8,812 recoveries and 737 deaths in the country. Punjab has recorded the most cases at over 13,200, while Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has reported the most deaths in the country, a total of 245.
Response[change | change source]
The country has been put under a nation-wide lockdown until 9 May, which was initiated on 1 April and later extended twice. On 7 May, Prime Minister Imran Khan announced to slowly end lockdown phase from 9 May 2020.
Effect[change | change source]
According to a report by the federal government, Pakistan could have expected 50,000 cases of the disease by 25 April. However, the number by then remained under 13,000, less than half of what was expected.
Vaccine[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Coronavirus in Pakistan - Confirmed Cases". www.covid.gov.pk/. Retrieved 13 May 2020.
- "Coronavirus updates, March 18: Latest news on the coronavirus outbreak from Pakistan and around the world". Geo News. 18 March 2020. Retrieved 23 April 2020.
- Tribune, Emea (May 7, 2020). "Pakistan to ease lockdown nationwide from saturday". EMEA Tribune. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- May 7, Omer Farooq Khan | TNN |; 2020; Ist, 23:20. "Pakistan announces to ease lockdown from Saturday - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2020-05-07.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Coronavirus updates, April 4: Latest news on the COVID-19 pandemic from Pakistan and around the world". www.geo.tv. Archived from the original on 6 April 2020. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "Number of cases expected to rise to 50,000 by April 25, govt tells Supreme Court". www.geo.tv. Archived from the original on 6 April 2020. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "LIVE: PM Imran urges Pakistanis to be steadfast in their faith amid COVID-19 crisis". The Express Tribune. 4 April 2020. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
- "Coronavirus updates, April 25: Latest news on the COVID-19 pandemic from Pakistan and around the world". Geo News. 26 April 2020. Retrieved 26 April 2020.
- "China has prepared a vaccine to treat COVID-19 patients and it would be launched in Pakistan in three months". Rackpost.com. Retrieved 23 April 2020.