Carter Lake, Iowa
Carter Lake, Iowa
City Office Building in Carter Lake, Iowa
Location of Carter Lake, Iowa
U.S. Census Map
|• Total||2.02 sq mi (5.23 km2)|
|• Land||1.87 sq mi (4.84 km2)|
|• Water||0.15 sq mi (0.39 km2)|
|Elevation||981 ft (299 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,024/sq mi (781.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0455192|
History[change | change source]
Carter Lake is an example of the border irregularities of the United States. It is the only city in Iowa that is west of the Missouri River. In March 1877, a flood changed the course of the river 1.25 mi (2 km) to the southeast.[source?] The parts of the old river course, called Saratoga Bend, became an oxbow lake. It is named Carter Lake.[source?] After the creation of the lake, the place became a recreational area. It included "a boathouse at the foot of Locust street, hotels and club houses were numerous and the lake was the scene of many a pleasant rowing and fishing party."
In 1892, after a lot of litigation between Iowa and Nebraska, the Supreme Court of the United States said that Carter Lake is part of Iowa in Nebraska v. Iowa, 143 U.S. 359 (1892). The general rule is that state borders follow small changes in the course of a river. However, the Court said that an there's an exception when a river avulses one of its bends. In 1972, the Supreme Court made another ruling about Carter Lake when it ruled on a border dispute between the two states in Nebraska v. Iowa, 406 U.S. 117 (1972).
Geography[change | change source]
Carter Lake is at (41.292647, -95.913989).
People[change | change source]
|U.S. Decennial Census and |
2010 census[change | change source]
Politics[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-02. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- 1890. "The Rise and Fall of Cut-Off Lake[permanent dead link]" from the Omaha Bee.
- "Nebraska v. Iowa", 143 U.S. 359 (1892).
- Nebraska v. Iowa, 406 U.S. 117 (1972).
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-02-26. Retrieved 2021-01-17.
- Iowa Data Center
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Mike Bell. "Carter Lake Elections: Cumberledge bests ex-mayor; Wahl is elected". The Daily Nonpareil - Council Bluffs, Iowa. Retrieved 2019-06-19.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carter Lake, Iowa.|
- City of Carter Lake
- History of Carter Lake
- Edward F. Owen Memorial Library Archived 2016-08-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Carter Lake Elementary School Archived 2019-09-26 at the Wayback Machine
- Carter Lake Community Resource Center
- Carter Lake Preservation Society
- Carter Lake Weather
- Map showing history of Missouri River shifts at Carter Lake
- City-Data Comprehensive Statistical Data and more about Carter Lake