Chaz Bono, 2010
Chastity Sun Bono
March 4, 1969
|Other names||Chaz Salvatore Bono|
|Occupation||Writer, musician, activist|
|Known for||Sonny & Cher's only child together, LGBT activism, writing|
|Parent(s)||Sonny Bono, Cher|
Chaz Salvatore Bono (born Chastity Sun Bono; March 4, 1969) is an American actor and is a spokesperson for the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. He danced on ABC's Dancing With the Stars.
In 1995 Chaz, who was called Chastity at the time, told The Advocate that he was a lesbian. In 2008 Bono started gender transition to male. Bono is no longer a lesbian. He is a heterosexual man.
He is the son of Sonny and Cher Bono. He is a female-to-male transsexual. A documentary on Bono's experience, Becoming Chaz, was at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. It was later on the OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network.
Books written[change | change source]
- Family Outing (with Billie Fitzpatrick) (1998). Little, Brown and Company. pp. 272. ISBN 978-0316102339
- The End of Innocence: A Memoir (with Michele Kort) (2003). pp. 232. ISBN 978-1555837952
- Transition: the story of how I became a man (with Billie Fitzpatrick) (2011). New York: Dutton. ISBN 978-0525952145
- Transition: Becoming Who I Was Always Meant to Be (with Billie Fitzpatrick) (2012 paperback). Plume. pp. 272. ISBN 978-0452298002
References[change | change source]
- "Cher's son now officially a man". BBC News. 2010-05-07. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- "BBC News - Cher berates 'bigots' attack on son's role in TV show". BBC. 2011-09-02. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
- "CNN - Chastity Bono opens up about coming out - October 14, 1998". www.cnn.com.
- Andrea Peyser (16 May 2011). "Chaz a real drag for gay community".
- "Chastity Bono Undergoing Gender Change". TV Guide. 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "Chastity Bono is Chaz Bono". Right Celebrity. 2009-06-11. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- "Chaz Bono Documentary To Debut On OWN | Access Hollywood - Celebrity News, Photos & Videos". Access Hollywood. Retrieved 2011-11-14.
Other websites[change | change source]