La Concepción de María Purísima
del Nuevo Extremo (original name)
|City and Commune|
|Nickname(s): Biobío's Pearl|
|Motto: La Capital del Sur de Chile
The Capital of the South of Chile
|Coordinates (alcalde's office): Coordinates:|
|Founded||October 5, 1550|
|Founded by||Pedro de Valdivia|
|• Alcalde||Patricio Kuhn Artigues (2008-2012) (UDI)|
|• City and Commune||222 km2 (86 sq mi)|
|• City and Commune||292,589|
|• Density||1,318/km2 (3,410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC−4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC−3)|
|Telephone prefix||56 + 41|
Concepción is the second city in importance of the Republic of Chile with 889,725 inhabitants (2002 census).
History[change | edit source]
Concepción was founded by Pedro de Valdivia in 1550 north of the Bío-Bío River, at the site which is today known as Penco. At that time it was given the name Concepción del Nuevo Extremo. The new settlement of Concepción was just a few kilometers north of La Frontera (The Frontier), the boundary between Spanish territory and the land of the Mapuche, an American Indian ethnic group that remained independent until the 1870s. The settlement was formally recognized by the Spanish authorities as a town two years later by a royal decree. It was given a coat-of-arms that is still in use today.
Earthquakes and tsunamis, which razed the town in 1570, 1657, 1687, 1730 and 1751, led the authorities to move the town to its current site in the Valle de la Mocha, alongside the Bío-Bío River.
27 February 2010 Earthquake[change | edit source]
On February 27, 2010, an 8.8 magnitude earthquake struck the city of Concepción, killing more than 700 people and injuring thousands nationwide. Following the earthquake, geologists relying on global positioning satellite (GPS) data concluded that the city had been displaced roughly 3 meters (10 feet) to the west as a result of the event. Fortunately, the city avoided the tsunami that followed the earthquake.
Climate[change | edit source]
The climate of Concepción is classified as Köppen climate classification csb, with a dry summer nadir in February. It has an oceanic influence which keeps temperatures mild throughout the year. Wet snows are possible in winter, but snow does not remain for long. The chart at right provides a climate summary for Concepción.
Cultural life[change | edit source]
To an outsider, there may be confusion between the demonyms of the inhabitants of Concepción and the nearby city of Penco. Due to the previous location of Concepción being where Penco currently stands, inhabitants of Concepción are called penquistas while inhabitants of Penco are known as pencones.
Concepción is one of the most active cities in Chilean rock music and many famous rock groups in Chile started up in Concepción. cepción has the second largest concentration of universities in Chile, and is home to three major universities. Concepción currently has four traditional universities:
- Universidad de Concepción
- Universidad Católica de la Santísima Concepción
- Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
- Universidad del Bío-Bío.
Gallery[change | edit source]
Arco de Medicina ("Arch of Medicine") on the campus of the Universidad de Concepción
Mouth of the Bio-Bio emptying into the Pacific Ocean
Twin Towns[change | edit source]
- La Plata, Argentina
- Monterrey, Mexico
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Bethlehem, Palestine
- Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Cuenca, Ecuador
- Cascavel, Brazil
- Minnesota, USA
Bibliography[change | edit source]
- Ida Stevenson Weldon Vernon (1969) Pedro de Valdivia, Conquistador of Chile, Greenwood Press
- John Milton Nickles, Marie Siegrist (1965) Bibliography and Index of Geology Exclusive of North America, Geological Society of America, v.28
References[change | edit source]
- (Spanish) "Municipality of Concepción". http://www.concepcion.cl/. Retrieved 3 September 2010.
- CNN, "Chile quake moves city more than 10 feet", "9 March 2010" . Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- Time Magazine, "Quake Response Doesn't Live Up to Chile's Self-Image", Eben Harrell, 4 March 2010 . Retrieved 4 March 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Concepcion, Chile|
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: Concepción.|
Other websites[change | edit source]
- Concepción municipality (Spanish)
- El Sur, newspaper of Concepción (Spanish)
- Viveconce, Event schedule of Concepción (Spanish)
- Octava, Website directory (Spanish)
- HelloChile - Spanish tutoring and tourism in and around the city of Concepción, Information in English about the Chilean life and places to visit (English)
- Municipal Library of Concepción (Spanish)
- WorldFlicks in Concepción (Chile): Photos and places on Google Maps
- Concepción in the Encyclopedia Britannica (English)