Dareka no Manazashi
|Dareka no Manazashi|
Slice of life
|Directed by||Makoto Shinkai|
|Written by||Makoto Shinkai|
|Music by||Akihisa Matsuura|
|Studio||CoMix Wave Films|
Dareka no Manazashi (Japanese: だれかのまなざし, literally Someone's Gaze) is a Japanese anime short movie. It was directed by Makoto Shinkai. He also wrote the movie's script. The people who spoke the characters' voices were Fumi Hirano, Satomi Hanamura, and Shinji Ogawa. The music was sung by Kazusa.
The movie was shown for the first time at the Tokyo International Forum for the "Proud Box Appreciation Festival" on 10 February 2013. It was also shown with The Garden of Words for its premiere on 31 May 2013. The movie is about the relationship between a woman and her family.
Plot[change | change source]
The story is about Aya Okamura (岡村綾 Okamura Aya), her parents, and their pet cat Mii (ミ一). Aya does not live with her parents anymore. She got a job that made her move far away from her family. Her father lives at home alone with their cat and her mother works overseas. Mii was bought so that Aya would have someone to play with while her mother was working. Mii is now old, and her health is not as good as before.
In the movie, Aya comes home from work. She gets a phone call from her father. Her father wants to have dinner with her, but Aya declines by saying she is still at work. The narrator begins talking about her childhood and how being more independent meant that Aya and her father grew apart. Aya gets another phone call from her father, telling her about Mii dying. They come home to have dinner together, and her mother comes home at the same time. Aya's father buys a new kitten.
Production[change | change source]
Makoto Shinkai directed and wrote the script for Dareka no Manazashi. The producers were CoMix Wave Films, NEST, TYO M1, and The Answer Studio Co., Ltd. The music in the movie was directed by Akihisa Matsuura. The theme song of the movie "Sore de Ii yo" (それでいいよ, lit. It's all fine) was performed by Kazusa. Shinkai said he chose Kazusa to sing the music because he thought that her music would be liked by younger people.
The movie was made for the Nomura Real Estate Group. This was because they were holding their "Proud Box Appreciation Festival" (プラウドボックス感謝祭) at the Tokyo International Forum. Shinkai said that the hardest part about making the movie was keeping it and interesting. He also said focusing on the main topics of the movie was hard. The narrator helped Shinkai make the movie because he knew what to base it on.
Reaction[change | change source]
Many people enjoyed the movie in Japan. Online comments describing the film usually described it as good and emotional. A reporter of RocketNews24 said that the animation was very high quality. ASCII.jp said that even the younger viewers thought it was emotional, but it was the most emotional for older viewers.
References[change | change source]
- "Shinkai's Garden of Words to Be Screened with 'Dareka no Manazashi'". AnimeNewsNetwork. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "Makoto Shinkai's 'Dareka no Manazashi' Anime Trailer Streamed". AnimeNewsNetwork. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "「だれかのまなざし」". Makoto Shinkai – Other voices (in Japanese). CoMix Wave Films. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- Makkari, Yūji (12 April 2013). "新海誠監督「だれかのまなざし」の映像一部公開 和紗1stミニアルバムMVに収録". animeanime.jp (in Japanese). IID, Inc. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- Makkari, Yūji (19 September 2013). "新海誠「だれかのまなざし」主題歌 和紗「それでいいよ」MVフルバージョンをネット公開". animeanime.jp (in Japanese). IID, Inc. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- Sawai, Megumi (10 September 2013). "新海誠監督のDVD未収録アニメ『だれかのまなざし』が無料公開！ ネット上で感動を呼ぶ「あかん、号泣だった」「こういうのいいねぇ」". RocketNews24 (in Japanese). Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- "新海誠氏のショートフィルム『だれかのまなざし』が全編公開！". ASCII.jp (in Japanese). 13 September 2013. Retrieved 27 February 2018.