Deaths in 2018
The following is a list of deaths that should be noted in August 2018. For deaths that should be noted before the month that the world is in, please see "Months". Names under each date are noted in the order of the alphabet by last name or pseudonym. Deaths of non-humans are noted here also if it is worth noting.
Each listing of a death must have a source. If no reference is included, the death notice will be removed. The following are the requirements of adding a name to the list in its order: name, age, where they came from, what the person is known for, cause of death (if known) and a source.
August[change | change source]
1[change | change source]
- Mary Carlisle, 104, American actress (College Humor, Doctor Rhythm, Dead Men Walk), last-surviving WAMPAS Baby Star.
- Rick Genest, 32, Canadian fashion model and actor (47 Ronin), suicide by jumping.
- Fakir Musafar, 87, American performance artist, lung cancer.
- Celeste Rodrigues, 95, Portuguese fado singer ("Lenda das Algas", "Já é tarde", "Fado Celeste"), stroke.
- Jakob Schönenberger, 86, Swiss businessman (Swiss National Bank) and politician, member of Council of States (1979–1991).
- Nancy Tuckerman, 89, American secretary, White House Social Secretary (1963–1963), complications from COPD.
- Umbayee, 66, Indian ghazal singer ("Hrudayaraagam", "Mehboob", "Gazalmaala"), stomach cancer.
- Hannie van Leeuwen, 92, Dutch politician, Senator (1995–2007).
2[change | change source]
- Neil Argo, 71, American composer (Wild America, Mission: Impossible), heart failure.
- Armand de Las Cuevas, 50, French cyclist (Movistar Team), suicide.
- Herbert King, 55, Colombian actor (Pasión de Gavilanes, Guajira, Loving Pablo), heart attack.
- Winston Ntshona, 76, South African actor (Marigolds in August) and playwright (The Island, Sizwe Banzi Is Dead), Tony winner (1975).
- Vladimír Plaček, 53, Czech politician and physician, Senator (since 2012).
- Daan Schrijvers, 76, Dutch footballer (national team, PSV Eindhoven, NAC Breda).
3[change | change source]
- Matija Barl, 78, Slovene actor (Kekec).
- Carlos Buttice, 75, Argentine footballer (Unión Española, Bahia, CASLA).
- Ingrid Espelid Hovig, 94, Norwegian television chef and cookbook author.
- Moshé Mizrahi, 86, Israeli movie director (Madame Rosa, Every Time We Say Goodbye, The House on Chelouche Street), Oscar winner (1978), pneumonia.
- Tommy Peoples, 70, Irish fiddler (The Bothy Band).
- Zbigniew Ścibor-Rylski, 101, Polish Air Force officer (Warsaw Uprising) and brigadier general.
4[change | change source]
- Lorrie Collins, 76, American rockabilly singer ("Just Because") and guitarist (Ricky Nelson, The Collins Kids), complications from a fall.
- Masahiko Tsugawa, 78, Japanese actor (Otoko wa Tsurai yo, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack, Tampopo), heart failure.
5[change | change source]
- Barry Chuckle, 73, English comedian (ChuckleVision) and actor, bone cancer.
- Robert Dugard, 76, English speedway rider (Eastbourne Eagles, Wimbledon Dons, West Ham Hammers) and promoter (Arlington Stadium), lung cancer.
- Ellen Joyce Loo, 32, Canadian-born Hong Kong singer-songwriter (at17), fall.
- Alan Rabinowitz, 64, American zoologist (Panthera Corporation), leukemia.
- Charlotte Rae, 92, American actress (The Facts of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, 101 Dalmatians: The Series) and comedienne, bone cancer.
- Piotr Szulkin, 68, Polish movie director (The War of the Worlds: Next Century, O-Bi, O-Ba: The End of Civilization).
6[change | change source]
- Patricia Benoit, 91, American actress (Mister Peepers) and movie director (Stones in the Sun).
- Margaret Heckler, 87, American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Massachusetts's 10th congressional district (1967–1983), Secretary of Health and Human Services (1983–1985) and Ambassador to Ireland (1986–1989), heart attack.
- Paul Laxalt, 96, American politician, Governor of Nevada (1967–1971) and U.S. Senator (1974–1987), complications from a fall.
- Joël Robuchon, 73, French chef (L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon) and cookbook writer (The Complete Robuchon), pancreatic cancer.
7[change | change source]
- Carlos Almenar Otero, 92, Venezuelan singer-songwriter ("Cara Mia" "Arpa, mar y llano", "Ven a mis brazos"), pneumonia.
- John Ciaccia, 85, Italian-born Canadian politician, member of the National Assembly of Quebec for Mont-Royal (1973–1998).
- Arvonne Fraser, 92, American women's rights activist, Ambassador to the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (1993–1994).
- Gustavo Giagnoni, 86, Italian football player (Mantova) and manager (Milan, Roma).
- M. Karunanidhi, 94, Indian screenwriter (Rajakumari, Kannamma, Ponnar Shankar) and politician, Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu (1969–1971, 1971–1976, 1989–1991, 1996–2001, 2006–2011), multiple organ failure.
- Anton Lehmden, 89, Austrian painter.
- Stan Mikita, 78, Slovak-born Canadian Hall of Fame ice hockey player (Chicago Blackhawks), NHL champion (1961), complications from Lewy body dementia.
8[change | change source]
- Nicholas Bett, 28, Kenyan hurdler, World Champion (2015), car crash.
- Jarrod Lyle, 36, Australian golfer, acute myeloid leukemia.
- Takeshi Onaga, 67, Japanese politician, Governor of Okinawa Prefecture (since 2014) and Mayor of Naha (2000–2014), pancreatic cancer.
- Mikhail Shakhov, 86, Ukrainian wrestler, Olympic bronze medalist (1956).
9[change | change source]
- Arthur Davies, 77, Welsh opera singer. (death announced on this date)
- Manfred Melzer, 74, German Roman Catholic prelate, Auxiliary Bishop of Cologne (1995–2015).
- Lillian Cox, 111, American supercentenarian.
- Mehrdad Pahlbod, 101, Iranian politician, Minister of Culture and Art (1964–1978), cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Richard Russell, 29, American mechanic and hijacker, responsible for the Horizon Air Q400 incident, suicide by airplane crash.
- Bùi Tín, 90, Vietnamese military colonel (People's Army of Vietnam) and dissident, renal failure.
- Sir V. S. Naipaul, 85, Trinidadian-born British writer (A House for Mr Biswas), Nobel Prize laureate (2001).
- Fabio Mamerto Rivas Santos, 86, Dominican Roman Catholic prelate, Bishop of Barahona (1976–1999), kidney cancer.
- Samir Amin, 86, Egyptian-French Marxian economist, created the term "Eurocentrism".
- Kazimiera Utrata, 86, Polish actress (A Woman's Decision, Ballada o Januszku), congestive heart failure.
- Somnath Chatterjee, 89, Indian politician, Speaker of the Lok Sabha (2004–2009), heart attack.
- Jim Neidhart, 63, American professional wrestler (WWF, WCW, Stampede), complications from a fall.
- Chemmanam Chacko, 92, Indian poet (Kanakaaksharangal, Dukkhanthinte Chiri, Ottayaante Choonduviral), cardiopulmonary arrest complicated by Parkinson's disease.
- Randy Rampage, 58, Canadian thrash metal singer and bassist (D.O.A., Annihilator, Stress Factor 9), heart attack.
- Balram Das Tandon, 90, Indian politician, Governor of Chhattisgarh (since 2014), bronchopneumonia.
- Eduard Uspensky, 80, Russian author (Uncle Fedya, His Dog, and His Cat) and screenwriter (Gena the Crocodile, Plasticine Crow), liver cancer.
- Rita Borsellino, 73, Italian anti-Mafia activist and politician, MEP (2009–2014), pancreatic cancer.
- François Garnier, 74, French Roman Catholic prelate, Archbishop of Cambrai (since 2000), aortic aneurysm.
- Albert Millaire, 83, Canadian actor (Tartuffe, Le Misanthrope, Dom Juan), prostate cancer.
- Michael Persinger, 73, American-born Canadian psychology professor and neuroscience researcher (Laurentian University). (death announced on this date)
- Benny Andersen, 88, Danish writer (Samlede digte) and pianist ("Svantes viser"), member of the Danish Academy (since 1972).
- Aretha Franklin, 76, American Hall of Fame singer-songwriter ("Respect", "A Natural Woman", "Chain of Fools") and actress (The Blues Brothers), pancreatic cancer.
- Kim Yong-chun, 82, North Korean politician, Deputy (1986–1988) and Chief of the KPA General Staff (1995–2007), heart attack.
- Yelena Shushunova, 49, Russian Hall of Fame gymnast, European (1985), World (1985, 1987), and Olympic champion (1988), complications from pneumonia.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee, 93, Indian politician and poet, Prime Minister (1996, 1998–2004) and Minister of External Affairs (1977–1979), renal failure.
- Leonard Boswell, 84, American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Iowa's 3rd congressional district (1997–2013), complications from gastrointestinal cancer.
- Ezzatolah Entezami, 94, Iranian actor (The Cow, Hajji Washington, Once Upon a Time, Cinema), complications from a stroke.
- David McReynolds, 88, American political activist (War Resisters League, Social Democrats, USA) and politician, 1980 and 2000 presidential candidate, complications from a fall.
- Kofi Annan, 80, Ghanaian diplomat, Secretary-General of the United Nations (1997–2006), Nobel Peace Prize laureate (2001).
Months[change | change source]
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Mary Carlisle, a perpetual ingenue in dozens of 1930s films, dies at 104
- Montreal model and artist known as Zombie Boy dead at 32
- R.I.P. Fakir Musafar
- Morreu a fadista Celeste Rodrigues (Portuguese)
- Alt Ständerat Jakob Schönenberger am Nationalfeiertag verstorben (German)
- Nancy Tuckerman, 89, trusted aide of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, dies
- Malayalam Ghazal maestro Umbayee passes away
- CDA-icoon Hannie van Leeuwen (92) overleden (Dutch)
- Neil Argo, distinguished alumnus of University of Northern Colorado, dies at 71
- Armand De Las Cuevas est décédé (French)
- Falleció el actor Herbert King, tío de Radamel Falcao García (Spanish)
- Theatre doyen Winston Ntshona dies
- Ve věku 53 let zemřel Vladimír Plaček, lékař a opavský senátor (Czech)
- Voormalig Oranje-aanvoerder Daan Schrijvers (76) overleden (Dutch)
- Umrl Matija Barl, ki je v mladosti igral vlogo Kekca (Slovene)
- Murió Carlos "Batman" Buttice, el arquero de los Matadores de San Lorenzo (Spanish)
- Ingrid Espelid Hovig er død (Norwegian)
- Moshe Mizrahi, Israeli Director of 3 Foreign-Language Oscar Nominees, Dies at 86
- Tommy Peoples
- Nie żyje generał Zbigniew Ścibor-Rylski. Bohater Powstania Warszawskiego miał 101 lat (Polish)
- Lorrie Collins, Rockabilly singer (Collins Kids), dies at 76
- 津川雅彦さんが78歳で死去 朝丘雪路さん亡くし追うように (Japanese)
- Entertainer Barry Chuckle dies at 73
- Eastbourne Eagles' Bob Dugard dies aged 76
- Hong Kong pop star Ellen Joyce Loo dies in fall from building at age 32
- Statement on the Life and Legacy of Panthera Founder and Renowned Conservationist, Dr. Alan Rabinowitz
- Charlotte Rae Dies: House Mother On ‘The Facts Of Life’ Was 92
- Dead at 68. Film icon Piotr Szulkin
- Patricia Benoit, Wally Cox's Sweetheart on 'Mister Peepers,' Dies at 91
- Margaret M. Heckler, former US health services chief and ambassador to Ireland, dies at 87
- Former Nevada governor Paul Laxalt dies at 96
- Joel Robuchon, Michelin star French chef, dies aged 73
- El adiós de Carlos Almenar Otero, "La voz de oro" (Spanish)
- John Ciaccia, former Bourassa cabinet minister, dies at 85
- Arvonne Fraser, who blazed her own trail as women's rights advocate, dies at 92
- Addio a Gustavo Giagnoni, il "tecnico con il colbacco" (Italian)
- Kalaignar M Karunanidhi dies in Chennai: The Dravidan Sun has set
- Anton Lehmden verstorben (German)
- Blackhawks Hall of Famer Stan Mikita dies at 78
- Ex-400m hurdles world champion Nicholas Bett dies in accident
- Jarrod Lyle dies after long battle with cancer
- Okinawan Governor Onaga, who led anti-US base move, dies
- Died Ukrainian Olympic medalist Mikhail Shakhov
- Arthur Davies (1941 - 2018)
- Trauer um Manfred Melzer Langjähriger Kölner Weihbischof mit 74 Jahren verstorben (German)
- Indomitable Lillian Cox dies at 111; a friend remembers the 'Tallahassee Lassie'
- مهرداد پهلبد، وزیر فرهنگ و هنر دوران پهلوی و داماد رضا شاه، در لُس آنجلس درگذشت (Persian)
- ALASKA AIRLINES: EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT THE SUICIDAL HIJACKER
- Vietnam communist war hero turned dissident Bui Tin dies aged 90
- Family: Nobel Prize-winning author V.S. Naipaul dies at 85
- Muere monseñor Fabio Mamerto Rivas, primer obispo de la Diócesis de Barahona (Spanish)
- World acclaimed Marxist thinker Samir Amin dies
- Kazimiera Utrata nie żyje (Polish)
- Somnath Chatterjee, former Lok Sabha Speaker, dies at 89
- Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart dies
- मलयालम के जाने माने कवि सी चाको का निधन Template:In icon
- Randy Rampage, Canadian Hardcore Legend And Former Annihilator Frontman, Dead At 58
- छत्तीसगढ़ के राज्यपाल बलराम दास टंडन का निधन, सुबह पड़ा था दिल का दौरा (Hindi)
- Died Eduard Uspensky
- È morta Rita Borsellino, la sorella del giudice antimafia Paolo (Italian)
- Entrée au Ciel de Monseigneur François Garnier (French)
- Quebec actor Albert Millaire dies at 83
- Laurentian University's Michael Persinger, human brain researcher, dies
- Forfatteren Benny Andersen er død
- Aretha Franklin, 'Queen of Soul', dies aged 76
- '김정일의 오른팔' 김영춘 전 인민무력부장 사망...北, 국가장으로 장례 (Korean)
- Olympic gymnastics champion Elena Shushunova dies at 49
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee, former Prime Minister, passes away at 93
- Former Rep. Leonard Boswell Dies at Des Moines Hospital
- Iranian Actor Ezzatollah Entezami Passes Away
- Dave McReynolds obituary
- Former UN chief Kofi Annan dies