Dinajpur Zilla School
|Dinajpur Zilla School|
দিনাজপুর জিলা স্কুল
|Municipality office road|
|School type||Government funded Secondary School|
|Motto||Knowledge is Power|
|Age||08 to 17|
|Number of students||2000|
|Medium of language||Bengali|
|Sports||Football, cricket, basketball, volleyball, badminton|
History[change | change source]
Dinajpur Zila School was established in 1854 in the Pratap House by the Raja Tarakanath. It 1856 the government nationalised the school and converted it into the Zila (district) school. Despite the nationalisation, the school was still financially supported by the Raja and other local influentials in the 19th century. It has one of best graduation rates in Bangladesh. The current school building was built in the 20th century and upgraded in the 21st century. The main office and library is in a building that was a revenue office built in the 18th century by Raja Baiyanath. The student hostel was built in 1910.The hostel is still at Zilla School. The library building is now being painted again and the floors are being replaced
Admission[change | change source]
The Admission for the school mainly starts from class 3. The school gives 1 year for preparation of the examination. As example, on 2017, those students who read in class 2, take preparation for the admission exam which is held usually in the last week of December. After the exam 240 students are chosen from thousands of examinees. They read in class 3 in the next year.
Notable Alumni[change | change source]
- General Shafiul Hauqe, Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- Moinuddin Ahmed Chowdhury, a politician, social reformer and member of the Ghugudanga Zemindar family
- Narayan Gangopadhyay, the famous Bengali writer and Professor of University of Calcutta
- Rampran Gupta, Historian, Author and leader of Brahmo Samaj.
References[change | change source]
- "Flood victims to get food support for 3 months: PM". The Daily Star. 21 August 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- "Poet's home on verge of ruin". The Daily Star. 26 February 2017. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Haq, Muhammad Lutful. "Dinajpur Zila School". en.banglapedia.org. Banglapedia. Retrieved 1 December 2017.