Dinosaurland Fossil Museum
|Dinosaurland Fossil Museum|
|Location||Lyme Regis, Dorset|
|Official name: Congregational Church|
|Designated||31 January 1974|
Dinosaurland Fossil Museum (aka Dinosaurland) is a privately owned fossil museum in Lyme Regis, on the Jurassic Coast in Dorset, England. The museum is in a historic Grade I listed former congregational church building.
The museum is owned and run by Steve Davies, a former chief palaeontologist for BP. It contains a collection of local marine fossils from the Jurassic period. The museum organizes guided fossil hunting walks. There is a museum shop that sells fossils and minerals.
As well as local Jurassic fossils, there are dinosaurs from China. There are also modern shells and skeletons on display. The museum has a small collection of dinosaur fossils on show (such as a large dinosaur coprolite, a Megalosaurus skeleton and a Chinese dinosaur, of unknown genus).
Congregational Church[change | change source]
The museum is on Coombe Street in a 250-year-old Grade I listed building that used to be a congregational church. The church was built between 1750 and 1755 by John Whitty. It was where Mary Anning (1799–1847), an early fossil hunter, was baptised and later attended for worship.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Congregational Church, Coombe Street, Lyme Regis, West Dorset, Dorset". Images of England. English Heritage.
- David Else and Fionn Davenport, Great Britain, Lonely Planet, 2009. Page 309. ISBN 978-1-74104-491-1.
- Oliver Berry and Belinda Dixon, Devon, Cornwall & Southwest England, Lonely Planet, 2008. Page 161. ISBN 978-1-74104-873-5.
- Thomas A. Hose, Geotourism: Appreciating the deep time of landscapes. In Marina Novelli (editor), Niche tourism: contemporary issues, trends and cases, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2005. ISBN 978-0-7506-6133-1.
- Fine example of a crinoid!, Midweek Herald, 14 November 2007.
- "Briefing: Dinosaur upgrade in Lyme". Geology Today 14 (5): 167–168. 1998. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2451.1998.014005162.x.
- Dinosaurland — Lyme Regis Archived 2012-07-13 at Archive.today, VisitBritain, UK.
- Dinosaurland Fossil Shop, Lyme Regis, Dorset, UK.
- Dinosaurland Fossil Museum in Dorset, Visitor World, UK.
- Lyme Regis, Panoromic Earth.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dinosaurland Fossil Museum.|