|Born||October 9, 1972|
Manhattan, New York City, U.S.
|Disappeared||May 25, 1979 (aged 6)|
West Broadway & Prince Street, New York, U.S.
|Status||Missing for 43 years, 6 months and 11 days; declared dead in absentia on June 19, 2001 (aged 28)|
|Died||c. May 25, 1979(aged 6)|
|Cause of death||Murder by strangulation (presumed)[a]|
|Known for||One of the first missing-child cases to have a photo appear on a milk carton|
|Height||3 ft 4 in (102 cm)|
|Date||May 25, 1979|
|Location||Manhattan, New York, U.S.|
|Type||Disappearance, presumed child murder, presumed child abduction|
|Motive||Unclear, allegedly sexual|
|Deaths||Etan Kalil Patz (presumed)|
|Accused||Jose Ramos (not formally charged, but speculation exists)|
|Verdict||Mistrial[b] (2015; first trial)|
Guilty on both counts (2017; second trial)
|Convictions||Second-degree murder, first-degree kidnapping (2017)|
|Sentence||Life in prison with the possibility of parole after 25 years|
Etan Patz was a boy from New York City who was abducted on May 25, 1979 in the SoHo village. He was declared dead in 2001. His disappearance started the use of milk cartons for missing children in the United States.
Notes[change | change source]
- In 2017, Pedro Hernandez was convicted of murdering Patz by strangulation. However, the location of Patz's body has never been discovered.
- 11-1 in favor of guilty verdict
References[change | change source]
- "Guilty verdict in Etan Patz missing child case | amNewYork". amNY. February 14, 2017. Archived from the original on June 6, 2021. Retrieved November 28, 2022.
- "Jury finds Pedro Hernandez guilty in 1979 murder, kidnapping of Etan Patz". abc7ny.com. February 14, 2017. Archived from the original on November 28, 2022. Retrieved November 28, 2022.
- "Inmate Information - HERNANDEZ, PEDRO". Archived from the original on October 16, 2014. Retrieved November 28, 2022.