E. L. Doctorow
|E. L. Doctorow|
|Born||Edgar Lawrence Doctorow
January 6, 1931
The Bronx, New York, U.S.
|Died||July 21, 2015
New York, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Writer, editor, professor|
|Alma mater||Kenyon College, Columbia University|
|Notable work(s)||The Book of Daniel
Homer & Langley
|Spouse(s)||Helen Esther Setzer (m. 1953–2015; his death)|
Edgar Lawrence "E. L." Doctorow (January 6, 1931 – July 21, 2015) was an American author. He was best known for his works of historical fiction. He was mostly known for his books The Book of Daniel, Ragtime, and Billy Bathgate.
Early life[change | change source]
Doctorow was born in The Bronx, New York City. His mother was Rose Doctorow and his father was David Doctorow, both of Jewish descent. He studied at Kenyon College and at Columbia University. In 1953, he married Helen Esther Setzer. They had three children.
Academic career[change | change source]
Awards[change | change source]
Doctorow won many writing awards, including the National Book Critics Circle Award for Ragtime, National Book Critics Circle Award for Billy Bathgate, National Book Critics Circle Award for The March, and the American Academy of Arts and Letters Gold Medal for Fiction.
Death[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "US novelist EL Doctorow dies at 84", BBC, July 22, 2015
- "E.L. Doctorow, Author of Historical Fiction, Dies at 84". nytimes.com. July 21, 2015. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to E. L. Doctorow.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: E. L. Doctorow|
- "The Limits of Optimism: E.L. Doctorow and the American Left" by Joseph G. Ramsey http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/07/28/the-limits-of-optimism-e-l-doctorow-and-the-american-left/
- Official website
- E. L. Doctorow at the Internet Movie Database
- "Guide to the E.L. Doctorow Papers". Fales Library and Special Collections: NYU.
- Plimpton, George (Winter 1986). "E.L. Doctorow, The Art of Fiction". The Paris Review 94. http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/2718/the-art-of-fiction-no-94-e-l-doctorow.
- "Billy Bathgate Discussion with EL Doctorow". Gotham Gazette. November 30, 2004.