England cricket team
This article needs to be updated. (January 2017)
|First Test match||v Australia at Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne, 15–19 March 1877|
|Test captain||Alastair Cook|
|ODI and Twenty20 captain||Eoin Morgan|
|Current ICC Test, ODI and T20I ranking||
|All-time best ICC Test, ODI and T20I ranking||
1st (Test) |
|Test matches |
– This year
|Last Test match||vs Sri Lanka at Lord's, London, 9-13 June 2016|
– This year
|As of 9 June 2016|
The England cricket team is the team that represents England and Wales in international cricket. Since 1 January 1997 it has been governed by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), having been previously governed by Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) from 1903 until the end of 1996.
England and Australia were the first teams to play a Test match (between 15–19 March 1877). These two countries plus South Africa formed the Imperial Cricket Conference (predecessor to today's International Cricket Council) on 15 June 1909. England and Australia also played the first One Day International (ODI) on 5 January 1971. England's first Twenty20 International (T20I) was played on 13 June 2005, once more against Australia.
As of 21 February 2016, England has played 969 Test matches, winning 346 and losing 282 (with 341 draws). The team has won The Ashes on 32 occasions, the same number as their opponents Australia. The team has played 666 ODIs, winning 321, and its record in major ODI tournaments includes finishing as runners-up in three Cricket World Cups (1979, 1987 and 1992), and two ICC Champions Trophys (2004 and 2013). The team has played 86 T20Is, winning 42. They won the ICC World Twenty20 in 2010, and were runners-up in 2016.
England are currently ranked fourth in Tests, sixth in ODIs and fifth in T20Is by the ICC.
References[change | change source]
- "hICC rankings - ICC Test, ODI and Twenty20 rankings". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Until 1992 it also represented Scotland
- "AboutECB". England and Wales Cricket Board. Archived from the original on 6 October 2007. Retrieved 7 October 2007.
- "MCC History". MCC. Retrieved 7 October 2007.
- "Records / England / Test matches / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Records / England / One-Day Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- "Records / England / Twenty20 Internationals / Result summary". ESPNcricinfo. Retrieved 1 April 2015.