Brewer during Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs against the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2011
April 17, 1979 |
Vernon, BC, CAN
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||222 lb (101 kg; 15 st 12 lb)|
New York Islanders
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
|NHL Draft||5th overall, 1997
New York Islanders
Eric Charles Brewer (born April 17, 1979) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman. He currently plays for the Anaheim Ducks of the National Hockey League (NHL). He has also won a gold medal with Team Canada at the 2002 Winter Olympics.
Career[change | change source]
Before playing in the NHL, Brewer played 3 seasons in the Western Hockey League with the Prince George Cougars. He was drafted with the 5th overall pick by the New York Islanders in the 1997 NHL Entry Draft. He made his NHL debut with the Islanders on October 10, 1998 in a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins. He scored his first NHL career goal on November 5, 1998 against Trevor Kidd of the Carolina Hurricanes.
He was traded along with Josh Green and their second round selection (Brad Winchester) at the 2000 NHL Entry Draft to the Edmonton Oilers for Roman Hamrlík. Brewer played 2 seasons with the Oilers and 1 season with their American Hockey League affiliate Lowell Lock Monsters.
After the 2004-05 NHL lockout, Brewer was traded along with Jeff Woywitka and Doug Lynch to the St. Louis Blues for Chris Pronger. Brewer would play 6 seasons with the Blues and was traded to Tampa Bay Lightning for Brock Beukeboom and a third round selection in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. He signed a four year, $15.4-million contract extension with the Lightning on June 24, 2011.
References[change | change source]
- "Legends of Hockey: Eric Brewer bio". Hockey Hall of Fame and Museum. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "History of NHL Trades: Trades of 2000". History of NHL Trades. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "How the Prongers broke our hearts". The Edmonton Journal. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Blues Trade Brewer to Tampa Bay". St. Louis Blues. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Eric Brewer has a new four-year contract". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Ducks Acquire Defenseman Brewer from Tampa Bay in Exchange for Third-Round Selection in 2015 NHL Draft". Anaheim Ducks. Retrieved 2015-1-15. Check date values in: