|Escape Room: Tournament of Champions|
|Directed by||Adam Robitel|
|Produced by||Neal H. Moritz|
|Edited by||Steve Mirkovich|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|July 16, 2021|
Escape Room: Tournament of Champions is a 2021 psychological horror movie directed by Adam Robitel. The movie stars Taylor Russell, Logan Miller, Isabelle Fuhrman, Thomas Cocquerel, Holland Roden, Carlito Olivero, and Indya Moore. It serves as a sequel to the 2019 movie Escape Room.
Plot[change | change source]
After escaping the "sole survivor" escape rooms orchestrated by the Minos Corporation, Zoey Davis and Ben Miller decide to confront the shadowy organization after finding coordinates to its New York City–based headquarters. Zoey is encouraged by her therapist to move on from her trauma and to get over her aerophobia, but she opts to drive with Ben instead of flying.
The pair find the headquarters derelict and are accosted by a vagrant who steals Zoey's necklace. She and Ben give chase straight into the Q subway train. Their train car separates from the rest of the train and is redirected to a remote station, sealing Zoey, Ben, and other passengers Rachel, Brianna, Nathan, and Theo inside. As the passengers realize in horror that they are once again in Minos' deadly game, the train becomes electrified. Zoey and Ben learn that the others are the "winners" of previous escape rooms, having survived them. To escape, the group must collect subway tokens as the electrification increases. Theo is killed while the rest escape. Nathan reveals his escape room group were all priests, Brianna's were all influencers, and Rachel's consisted of people who cannot feel physical pain.
The next room is a bank with a slowly closing vault and a deadly laser security system. The group manages to decipher the complex route to get around the lasers and escape with just seconds to spare. While in the room, Zoey is perplexed by frequent references to someone called Sonya and that the escape rooms have no apparent connection to the group unlike before.
The next room is a postcard-like beach with more references to Sonya. They discover that the beach is covered in quicksand. Nathan sacrifices himself to save Rachel and is swallowed up by the sand. Zoey finds an alternate route out just as Brianna unlocks the intended exit. An argument on which route to take breaks out; Rachel and Ben side with Zoey. Brianna escapes through the main exit while Rachel and Ben traverse to the alternate route. Ben falls into the quicksand.
Zoey and Rachel make their way out through a manhole back into the city. Overjoyed at first that they're outside, they quickly realize they are still in the game when they encounter a panicked Brianna. If they don't make it out of this room, acid rain is periodically sprayed on them. The group opens a taxi to escape into but once Zoey enters, the taxi locks Rachel and Brianna out. Zoey falls into the next room while Rachel and Brianna succumb to the rain and die.
The next room is a child's bedroom containing a diary from Sonya, revealing the rooms are based on a fun day out she had with her mother. Zoey discovers Sonya's mother is Amanda Harper, who survived her fall in her original escape room and was forced into designing escape rooms for Minos after they abducted her daughter. Amanda appears and begs Zoey to become the next puzzle-maker for Minos, warning that she has no choice. Ben is revealed to be trapped in a cage. When Zoey refuses Minos' demand, Ben's cage starts filling with water, but Zoey and Amanda work together to free him. They manage to break out, fleeing the facility. They report their findings to the police, who retrieve the bodies of Rachel, Brianna, Nathan, and Theo; the news about Minos goes public. An FBI agent assures Zoey that Minos will be tracked down.
Filled with confidence, Zoey decides to take a plane home with Ben. Onboard, she realizes her therapist was in on it and that the plane is another escape room. The distorted voice of Minos' leader mocks Zoey and Ben for falling into their latest trap as the plane begins to fall and sleeping gas fills the cabin.
Cast[change | change source]
- Taylor Russell as Zoey Davis
- Logan Miller as Ben Miller
- Deborah Ann Woll[a] as Amanda Harper
- Holland Roden as Rachel Ellis
- Indya Moore as Brianna Collier
- Thomas Cocquerel as Nathan
- Carlito Olivero as Theo
Isabelle Fuhrman and James Frain appear in the film's alternate version as Claire and Henry, respectively, in a plotline revealing the puzzlemaker's story. Tanya van Graan makes an uncredited appearance as Sonya, who is Henry's wife and Claire's mother in this cut.
Additionally, Lucy Newman-Williams appears as Zoey's therapist and Scott Coker portrays an FBI agent in the theatrical cut. In both versions, Matt Esof portrays the vagrant who lures Zoey and Ben into Minos' trap.
Production[change | change source]
On January 27, 2020, director Adam Robitel posted on social media confirming that filming on the movie had wrapped.
Notes[change | change source]
- Woll only appears in the theatrical cut, with her character being absent in the alternate version.
References[change | change source]
- Collinson, Gary (October 23, 2019). "Sony sets cast for Escape Room 2". Flickering Myth. Retrieved January 28, 2020.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 18, 2019). "'Escape Room 2': Sony Sets Lead Cast For Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 28, 2020.
- Sandwell, Ian (February 27, 2019). "Escape Room 2 release date, cast, plot". Digital Spy. Retrieved January 28, 2020.
- Sneider, Jeff (October 3, 2019). "Exclusive: Isabelle Fuhrman Joins Taylor Russell, Logan Miller in Escape Room 2". Collider. Archived from the original on January 9, 2020. Retrieved November 3, 2019.
- N'Duka, Amanda (October 18, 2019). "Escape Room 2: Sony Sets Lead Cast for Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on December 28, 2019. Retrieved December 21, 2019.
- Lambros, Stephen (May 26, 2021). "There's No Way Out Of The Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions Trailer". GameRant. Retrieved June 10, 2021.
- Squires, John (September 10, 2021). "'Escape Room: Tournament of Champions' Comes Home This Month With a Longer "Alternate Cut"". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved September 12, 2021.
- "Adam Robitel on Instagram: "That's a wrap! After 50 days of grueling principle / 20 days of 2nd unit, we have officially wrapped photography on Escape Room 2. It's…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-01-28.