|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
Plot summary[change | change source]
Mr. Fabiano is a sixth-grade teacher that calls in sick on April 28th. When his class arrives they find that their substitute teacher has not shown up. The class decides that they will not report this to the principal and will run the classroom by themselves. The students follow the instructions left by their teacher. All goes well until Mr. Fabiano is called upon to join in a school assembly.
Characters in Flying Solo :, by heart jessie girl[change | change source]
- Mr. Fabiano — Sixth-grade teacher that is gone for the day
- Rachel — She has been for six months since a classmate (Tommy Feathers) who was fond of her died six months ago
- Bastian — An Air Force brat that can't stop thinking about his dog that will be quarantined
- Sean--A boy who has a crush on Rachel and is really nice to her
- Karen — The natural leader of the class
- Jessica — The only member of the class that is not sure the students should run the class in fact she hates the idea
- Christopher — A nasty spoiled boy, that annoys most of the class
- Missy — A little heavy girl, she is Rachel's best friend
- Sky Reed-- a new kid in the class
Themes[change | change source]
Notes[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- Bloom, Susan P. (Nov/Dec98). Horn Book Magazine Vol. 74 (Issue 6): p728-729. ISSN 00185078.
- Siebecker, July (October 1998). "Flying Solo". School Library Journal Vol. 44 (Issue 10): p135. ISSN 03628930.
- Johnson, Nancy J. (November 99). Reading Teacher Vol. 53 (Issue 3): p234. ISSN 00340561.