In You'll Never Get Rich (1941)
May 10, 1899
Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.
|Died||June 22, 1987 (aged 88)|
Phyllis Livingston Potter
(m. 1933; died 1954)
|Relatives||Adele Astaire (sister)|
Astaire started dancing on the stage with his sister Adèle, and when she married he started a movie partnership with Ginger Rogers. After that, he danced with a succession of talented American dancers on movie and on television. He appeared in 32 movies. His movie partners included Eleanor Powell, Ann Miller, Vera-Ellen, Cyd Charisse: all high-class dancers, and on TV with Barrie Chase. Their An evening with Fred Astaire won nine Emmy Awards in 1958.
Astaire was also an excellent actor, and a successful, though personally modest, singer. He introduced some of the most celebrated songs from the Great American Songbook. He married Phyllis Potter in 1933; they had two children. After her death, he remarried in 1980 to Robyn Smith, a female jockey 45 years his junior.
Sources[change | change source]
- Astaire, Fred. Steps in Time, 1959, OCLC 422937
- Billman, Larry. Fred Astaire — a bio-bibliography, Greenwood Press 1997, ISBN 0-313-29010-5
- Freeland, Michael. Fred Astaire: an illustrated biography, Grosset & Dunlap, 1976. ISBN 0-448-14080-2
- Thomas, Bob. Astaire, the man, the dancer. Weidenfeld & Nicolson, London, 1985. ISBN 0-297-78402-1
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fred Astaire.|
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Fred Astaire|
- Fred Astaire on IMDb (Astaire is the first biographical entry in the IMDB database.)
- Fred Astaire biography at Allmovie Guide
- Fred Astaire tribute site.
- Fred Astaire biography at AlsoDances.Net
- Time.com: The Great American Flyer Fred Astaire:1899-1987
- Time Magazine archive: Astaire essay by Richard Corliss
- Astaire's religious views incl. many extracts from his biographers
- Ava Astaire discusses her father's legacy. (BBC Television - Realplayer required)
- Fred Astaire at Find-A-Grave
- "He's in Heaven..." - In Memoriam Fred Astaire