The Old City of Ghazni
|Elevation||2,219 m (7,280 ft)|
Just like other cities of Afghanistan, Ghazni is very old and has seen many military invasions.
Infrastructure[change | change source]
Education[change | change source]
The city has a number of public schools.
Resources[change | change source]
Ghazni City is located in an area of extreme drought. In 2007, one of the gates on a fifty-year-old dam on the Jikhai River broke. This worried the people of Ghazni city about the water supply. The dam serves as a good source of irrigation water to Ghazni City and the surrounding agricultural areas. Nearby rivers have a history of flooding and causing severe damage and death, though efforts have begun to fix this.
Notables from Ghazni[change | change source]
- Sadiq Ali Khan Tanoli (sons named Feroz Khan, Sanjay Khan, Akbar Khan (director), Indian film actors,
- Hajweri Ghaznawi
- Mahmud of Ghazni
- Hassan Ghaznavi
- Faiz Muhammad Katib Hazara
- Farrukhi Sistani, Manuchehri Damaghani, Abul-fazl Bayhaqi (royal poets and writers who lived during the Ghaznavids period)
Points of interest[change | change source]
- Minarets of Ghazni
- Palace of Sultan Mas'ud III
- Tomb of Sebuktigin
- Mausoleum of Sultan Mahmud
- Mausoleum of Sanai
- Museum of Islamic Art
- Tapa Sardar Excavations
Related pages[change | change source]
References and footnotes[change | change source]
- Afghan City Gauges Toll After Taliban Siege . Wall Street Journal.
- "The State of Afghan Cities Report 2015". Archived from the original on 31 October 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Ghazni's Zanakhan Dam damaged". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-15.
- Heavy water flow damages Ghazni's Zanakhan Dam Mar 15 2007, Pajhwok Afghan News
- "Jikhai River Dam burst swamps Ghazni city of Afghanistan". Pakistan Times. Archived from the original on 2005-11-04. Retrieved 2007-07-15.
- "Ghazni". GlobalSecurity.org. Retrieved 2007-07-15.
|This article includes text from the public domain 1911 Encyclopaedia Britannica. Please add to the article as needed.|