Grandes écoles are specialised universities in France. Each grande école is specialised; it only teaches a very limited number of subjects. Unlike the other universities in France, the grandes écoles can pick the students they admit. These students have to follow special courses and tests before they are admitted. The grandes écoles award degrees that correspond to a master's degree; they do not award bachelor's degrees. There is no exhaustive list, but in general, there are the following types grandes écoles:
- école normale supérieures for the education of teachers and public servants.
- Engineering schools: The best-known of these is the École polytechnique.
- Aviation school : French Civil Aviation University and Institut Polytechnique des Sciences Avancées
- Administration, and social sciences: The best-known is the Institut d’études politiques de Paris
- Business schools, the best known is the HEC Paris
- Military schools, such as the École Navale
- Veterinary schools, such as the École nationale vétérinaire d'Alfort
- École nationale des chartes for archval science