Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse
Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse
|Died||December 13, 2019 (aged 101)|
|Occupation||Type designer, calligrapher, book-binder|
|Years active||1943 – 2010|
(m. 1951; his death 2015)
Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse (January 2, 1918 – December 13, 2019) was a German type designer, calligrapher and book-binder. She was the 1991 winner of the Frederic W. Goudy Award. She also designed several fonts.
Life[change | change source]
She was born in Schwerin, Germany. In her early years, she worked with Rudolf Koch and Edward Johnston.
From 1946 to 1954, Von Hesse taught lettering at the Städelschule in Frankfurt. She was hired by the Stempel foundry in Frankfurt to design typefaces, and went on to a successful career as a typographer with Stempel.
In 2001, she was recognized with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Friends of Calligraphy. She turned 100 in January 2018.
From 1951 until his death in 2015, she was married to Hermann Zapf. They had one son Christian, who died in 2012. She lived in Darmstadt, Germany. She died on December 13, 2019 at the age of 101.
Created designs[change | change source]
- Alcuin (URW Hamburg)
- Ariadne (Stempel)
- Carmina (Bitstream)
- Christiana (Berthold)
- Columbine (URW Hamburg)
- Diotima (Stempel)
- Hesse-Antiqua (2018, Monotype, with Ferdinand Ulrich)
- Nofret (Berthold)
- Shakespeare (Hallmark)
- Smaragd (Stempel)
References[change | change source]
- ↑ Zapf von Hesse, Gudrun; Taylor-Batty, Mark (2002-01-01). Gudrun Zapf von Hesse: bindings, handwritten books, type faces, examples of lettering and drawings. West New York, NJ: Mark Batty, publisher. ISBN 0-9715687-0-7.
- ↑ Zapf, Hermann; Zapf von Hesse, Gudrun; Prestianni, John; Friends of Calligraphy (San Francisco) (2001-01-01). "Bookbinding, Calligraphy and Type Design: Remarks and Musings About My Design Process (excerpted from Goudy award acceptance address by Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse)". Calligraphic type design in the digital age: an exhibition in honor of the contributions of Hermann and Gudrun Zapf : selected type designs and calligraphy by sixteen designers. Corte Madera, CA: Gingko Press. pp. 31–35. ISBN 1-58423-096-7.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Ulrich, Ferdinand. "Hesse Antiqua – Typeface release at 100". Fontshop Blog. Retrieved 13 January 2018.
- ↑ "Typo-Magie: Ein Nachruf auf Schriftgestalter Hermann Zapf".
- ↑ Weber, Bruce (9 June 2015). "Hermann Zapf, 96, Dies; Designer Whose Letters Are Found Everywhere". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- ↑ Ratskeller Frankfurt
Other websites[change | change source]
- MyFonts: Gudrun Zapf von Hesse Archived 2008-09-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Font Designer – Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse
- Personal Designer Portrait – Gudrun Zapf-von Hesse Archived 2018-12-12 at the Wayback Machine
- Typophile: Gudrun Zapf von Hesse Archived 2011-05-24 at the Wayback Machine