|The English used in this help page may not be easy for everybody to understand. You can help Wikipedia by reading Wikipedia:How to write Simple English pages, then simplifying the page.|
If file uploads are enabled, you can upload certain types of files to the wiki. This is particularly useful for uploading images, which you want to place on an article, but you can also upload other types of files.
Upload a file[change | change source]
- Prepare the file for upload. Make sure the file is exactly as you want it.
- In the sidebar, under toolbox, click "Upload file"
- Next to the Source filename, click Browse to locate the file on your computer.
- Change the Destination filename to something descriptive, if necessary.
- Fill in the Summary, if necessary.
- Click the Upload file button.
If it is a large file, you may need to wait several seconds for the upload to complete.
Using Images and Image Description Pages[change | change source]
After you've uploaded a file, you can use it in an article, with some special wiki syntax to create the link. See Help:Images.
Your file gets its very own 'Image Description Page' within the wiki (even if it isn't an image). You should edit this page to provide more information about the file. For example, many public wiki projects are quite sensitive to copyright issues, and so you should explain where you got the file from, and what its copyright status is, on the description page. Any other useful descriptive notes could also be added there.
Listing files in the wiki[change | change source]
There are a number of Special Pages to help you view and manage files which have been uploaded. Go to 'Special Pages' (in the toolbox on the left) and then see...
- Gallery of new images - If you just uploaded one, you will see it here.
- File list shows all of the files
- Unused images helps you track down files which might not be needed.
See Help:Special pages for details of the other information available here.