Hevrîn Khalaf (Kurdish: Hevrîn Xelef; 15 November 1984 – 12 October 2019) was a Kurdish-Syrian politician and civil engineer. She was Secretary General of the Future Syria Party. he was known for her diplomatic skills. Khalaf worked towards increasing tolerance and unity among Christians, Arabs, and Kurds.
Khalaf was killed by the Turkish-backed Ahrar al-Sharqiya fighters near the M4 Motorway in Northern Syria during the Turkish military operation against SDF forces in Rojava on 12 October 2019. According to The Washington Post, the killing "almost certainly constitute(d) a war crime, under international law".
References[change | change source]
- Explained: The chilling murder of Kurdish leader Hevrin Khalaf Indian Express, 14 October 2019
- "Hevrin Khalaf, Kurdish Politician Who Championed Christians, Executed in Syria". Relevant. 14 October 2019. Retrieved 15 October 2019.
- "Money, hatred for the Kurds drives Turkey's Syrian fighters". Associated Press. 15 October 2019.
- Sly, Liz (13 October 2019). "Turkish-led forces film themselves executing a Kurdish captive in Syria". The Washington Post.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Rowshan Qasim: Who is the Kurdish political leader Hevrin Khalaf? 7dnews.com, 14 October 2019