In vitro fertilisation
- Injecting a chemical drug to stop a woman's menstrual cycle
- Injecting FSH so that an ova is released from the woman's ovaries
- HCG is injected to loosen the ova
- The ova is removed from the vagina
- A sample of sperm is taken
- The sperm and egg are added together and a sperm will fertilise an egg
- The fertilised egg (zygote) is then injected into the woman's uterus
Some religious organisations believe that adoption is a better course of action for infertile couples. They think IVF is wrong because it is unnatural.
The success rate of IVF[change | change source]
IVF success rate among young women worldwide is around 35-40%. In India this figure is around 30-35%. Overall, the success rate of having a baby in the first IVF cycle is around 33% which increases to 50-70% by the 8th cycle. This success rate is measured in terms of the number of live births.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Guide to infertility (HFEA) Archived 2008-04-12 at the Wayback Machine
- Test Tube Babies Archived 2009-05-09 at the Wayback Machine on dab PBS
- Who is suitable for IVF Treatment?
- How to make IVF successful the first time?
- Pregnancy test after IVF frozen embryo transfer