Irene is a given name for women. The pronunciation of the name is [ ahy-ree-nee for 1; ahy-reen or, especially British, ahy-ree-nee for 2 ]. It is Greek for "peace." Several saints are named Irene. In 2005, in the United States, the name ranked at 590th most popular name for baby girls and fell to 632 the following year. Several Atlantic tropical storms or hurricanes were named Irene. Hurricane Irene in 2011 was very destructive to the East Coast of the United States, so Irene was retired in spring of 2012.
People[change | change source]
- Irene Hirano , American business executive
- Irene Rich, American actress
- Irene Cara, American singer and actress (1959–2022)
- Irene Papas, Greek actress and singer (1929–2022)
- Irene Natividad, American feminist, women's rights activist, corporate director and international advocate for women
- Irene Ryan, actress (1902-1973)
References[change | change source]
- ↑ "Definition of Irene | Dictionary.com". www.dictionary.com. Retrieved 2023-03-23.
- ↑ "Irene name Meaning and Origin". babys.name. Retrieved 2023-03-23.
- ↑ "Popular Names in the United States". Behind the Name. Retrieved July 19, 2020.