J. G. Hertzler
John Garman "J. G." Hertzler Jr. (born March 18, 1950) is an American actor, author, screenwriter, politician and activist. He is best known in the Star Trek community for his role on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) as the Klingon General (and later Chancellor) Martok.
Hertzler was born in Savannah, Georgia. He was raised in St. Joe, Missouri and in El Paso, Texas. Hertzler studied at Bucknell University, at the University of Maryland, and at American University. He is a Democrat. He has one child.
In November 2013, Hertzler was elected as a board member of the Ulysses, New York town council. He was elected as an official council member in 2016. He supported Bernie Sanders in the 2016 presidential election.
On June 8, 2017, Hertzler announced his candidacy as a U.S. House Representative for New York's 23rd congressional district in the 2018 elections. As part of his campaign appearances, he plans to act "in the persona of Mark Twain", to present his ideas "through the brilliant humorist for all ages". He stated that this was a tribute both to Twain, who resided once in Elmira, and to actor Hal Holbrook, who had portrayed Twain on stage for more than six decades.
References[change | change source]
- "Port Royal People :: Eleanor Frances (BEAVER) HERTZLER". portroyal200.com. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- "The Circuit Film". thecircuitfilm.com. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- Spector, Joseph (November 8, 2013). "Klingon warrior elected to N.Y. town board". USA Today. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- "Interview with J.G. Hertzler". The 1701st Fleet. Interviewed by Phil Cherry. April 14, 2015. Archived from the original on April 1, 2016. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- "Town Board– John Hertzler". Elect the Democratic Team for Ulysses!. Archived from the original on 2017-10-16. Retrieved 2017-02-17 – via Wordpress.com.
- "Members". ulysses.ny.us. June 19, 2016. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- J.G. Hertzler [@kethaman1] (July 2, 2015). "berniesanders.com/10000-at-madison-coliseum via @BernieSanders I hope the Hillary supporters and Bernie detractors notice this! Arriba America, Viva Bernie!" (Tweet). Retrieved March 9, 2016 – via Twitter.
- Anbinder, Mark H. (June 10, 2017). ""Star Trek" actor will challenge Tom Reed for New York 23rd - 14850". 14850.com. Ithaca, New York. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- Steecker, Matt (June 12, 2017). "'Klingon' to run as 'Mark Twain' against Rep. Reed". Ithaca Journal. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
Media related to J. G. Hertzler at Wikimedia Commons