A jack is a tool for lifting heavy items. There are many kinds of jacks.
- Car jack or automotive jack - For lifting vehicles.
- Scissor jack - The lifting mechanism is shaped similar to a pair of scissors.
- House jack - A jack which can lift small buildings that are made of wood or similar lightweight material.
- Hydraulic jack - Uses a liquid that is forced into a cylinder by a pump plunger.
- Inflatable jack - An airbag-like jack that lifts its load when filled with compressed air.
- Bottle jack - A jack with a cylindrical body and a bottle-like neck.